Would This Be Appropriate?

oneshot

11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Well if it is indeed private property then whoever owns the property would have to report you as a trespasser.   Since it's highly unlikely that anyone from the railroad is going to call the sheriff on you....then the sheriff has no jurisdiction there either.   So theoretically you are safe.   

The power lines in Georgia were private property too, I suppose, which is probably why the law couldn't charge in on party's there.  Nobody from Georgia Power was complaining.....so I suppose we were exempt from any legal action while on the property.  

@snagged in outlet 3, who was it that ran you off from being along the tracks?   If it was anyone besides the owner of the freakin' railroad you could have told them to go kick rocks. 

Sheriff ran us off at Buffalo Shoals on the White.  We used to walk down the tracks to get to the river.  Got run off by the cops up near Hannibal rabbit hunting.  

I think the RRs own the most land in the USA 

I have a couple cousins that ride trains for a living. Both can, will, and do make calls on a weekly basis for trespassing. They have and will comment on every picture posted on facebook about senior pictures, family pictures, or other taken on the railroad and have reported them.

Both get incredibly wound up about the trespassing on RR private property going into the explanation about people getting killed and how it affects the engineer or conductor. 

I guess I don't get it. If your not smart enough to get out of the way of a 3/4 mile long, million ton train and you get hit then so be it right?

11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Boy, what a cush job that's gotta be ! 

Where are they when THIS happens?  Screenshot_20200216-214809~2.png

Probably holding down the same chair that they hold down the other 364 days of the year.  😅

Don't think tagging trains goes unnoticed by the RR. A few years back my fishing buddy's son (then early 20's) did 2 years plus in a Boston jail for it, plus a hefty fine. When they released him, cops from Illinois were waiting there to haul him off to a different jail, where he did 6 more months plus another fine.

It didn't turn out all bad though, once he'd squared up, Nike, Google and others were willing to pay him well to paint murals on buildings, streets, etc. And he has some pretty cool stories to tell about his "railroad days".

Added;

Oh, and the RR cop that got the goods on him took photos of him taking photos of his (alleged) handiwork at 3:45 AM in a switchyard. The report didn't say if he was in a chair at the time or not.

I can't dance like I used to.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, fishinwrench said:

That's right I forgot that you did the bike shop gig.   We need another bike shop around here, the last one seemed to be doing good....but for some reason they gave it up.  I could enjoy doing that if there was any money in it.

Just remembered, two summers as a dock boy on leach lake in mn.  That’s where I was really exposed to non fly fishing methods.  After that, it was on!

12 hours ago, Devan S. said:

I guess I don't get it. If your not smart enough to get out of the way of a 3/4 mile long, million ton train and you get hit then so be it right?

One argument is the driver slams on the brakes to keep from killing the trespasser, the people riding the train get tossed like a salad, maybe the train derails tearing up track and killing crew or passengers, freight gets damaged and must be paid for, etc.etc. millions of $$$ and the engineer and conductor are ruined for life knowing they caused it all. If you have never unloaded a rail car you can't imagine how much stuff a train is hauling at any time. All that stuff has to be scrapped  if in an accident, because it might be damaged. They smashed and buried a few hundred new cars and trucks at a derail out in Nevada when I was a teenager. Insurance companies have some crazy rules if what they told me was truth.  Drove over them with a D8 and pushed the mess into a trench; I suppose nowadays they would smash and recycle. Times change. 

5 minutes ago, tjm said:

One argument is the driver slams on the brakes to keep from killing the trespasser, the people riding the train get tossed like a salad, maybe the train derails tearing up track and killing crew or passengers, freight gets damaged and must be paid for, etc.etc. millions of $$$ and the engineer and conductor are ruined for life knowing they caused it all. If you have never unloaded a rail car you can't imagine how much stuff a train is hauling at any time. All that stuff has to be scrapped  if in an accident, because it might be damaged. They smashed and buried a few hundred new cars and trucks at a derail out in Nevada when I was a teenager. Insurance companies have some crazy rules if what they told me was truth.  Drove over them with a D8 and pushed the mess into a trench; I suppose nowadays they would smash and recycle. Times change. 

Open Top flat car max haul weight is 100 tons.  With pre approved loading configurations.  

1 minute ago, tjm said:

How many TVs or cell phones would that be?

200,000 pounds worth.  However Many that would be.  Overseas containers are limited to 39.5’ lengths x 102 inches.  I’m not positive on the 102”.  It’s been a while since I’ve done overseas freight.  But the length is correct.  

I was on the way to Chicago on an Amtrak several years ago.  Train hit and killed an old man and his wife at a crossing.  We felt nothing when it happened, just train slowing down and stopping.  14 hours later we were on our way again.  For some odd reason, when a train hits and kills somebody, a bunch of worry warts get all involved.