Missouri Black Bear management

Johnsfolly

Ozark Trail around Greer Spring on the Eleven Pt. Brian Sloss could help you find one. Ahuber could as well on the Upper Current, he is down there several days a week. You will need local help to find one, or ask to tag along with an MDC biologist. They usually accomodate requests if they can get some free labor out of you. Shock boat trips are a ton of work, but volunteer, and they will probably take your offer.

aK

On 9/4/2020 at 1:53 PM, Flysmallie said:

So if somebody wanted to spend a couple of days in the woods looking to photograph one of these bears where should they go?

The east border of SaddleBrooke is national forest.  I've seen a lot of bear game cam picks from that area.  Also from between there and Forsyth.  A farm that I'm not 100% sure of the location.

23 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Ozark Trail around Greer Spring on the Eleven Pt. Brian Sloss could help you find one. Ahuber could as well on the Upper Current, he is down there several days a week. You will need local help to find one, or ask to tag along with an MDC biologist. They usually accomodate requests if they can get some free labor out of you. Shock boat trips are a ton of work, but volunteer, and they will probably take your offer.

aK

Ahh, don't shoot Yogi, he has been there for a long time.  My first bear sign was from around that spring 25 years ago.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

12 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I never want to shoot a bear. I like to shoot birds, squirrels, and rabbits. I don't want to deal with a 100 lb + carcass unless I can drive to it, or stick in a tractor bucket.

aK

I'd rather see the population be protected and grow.  Deal with problem bears on a case by case basis as they happen.

13 hours ago, skeeter said:

Plenty of pictures of Bears, Bobcats (most often) and the occasional Cougar on this Facebook group.  Just don't dare mention "hunting" or the admin will ban you forever.  "Missouri Black Bear, Mountain Lion, & Bobcat Sightings"

Meh, they kicked me off that group because I was always debunking their sightings of mountain lions and wolves.  Especially wolves.  Most of those people don't know a darned thing about wolves.  And very little about mountain lions.

1 minute ago, Al Agnew said:

Meh, they kicked me off that group because I was always debunking their sightings of mountain lions and wolves.  Especially wolves.  Most of those people don't know a darned thing about wolves.  And very little about mountain lions.

Did they see any of those black panthers?