BIG BASS BASH

likinmo

Let's discuss improving your odds for large bass.... 

Deep, shallow, or in between?

Main lake, or in the creeks/coves?

Methodical dissecting of each area, or cover as much water as possible?

Solo or with a partner?

Multiple techniques and baits, or stick with what you do best? 

Would you fish behind other anglers, or burn some gas and try to stay in fresh untouched water?

Would you burn up time running to a weigh location and standing in line with a 3-5lber, or not bother with anything under 6?

Do you hope it is sunny or cloudy, and how will the weather conditions alter your strategy?

8 minutes ago, mrgungho said:

I heard they're tearing it up on weightless rigged bubblegum flukes right now. 40 fow

Good luck guys.

How do you fish a weightless fluke in 40 fow ?    

No I get it.... but to think a dock needs 40' nearby in order to have a fish suspended under it is absurd.  

44 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Solo or with a partner?

Would you fish behind other anglers, or burn some gas and try to stay in fresh untouched water?

Would you burn up time running to a weigh location and standing in line with a 3-5lber, or not bother with anything under 6?

Do you hope it is sunny or cloudy, and how will the weather conditions alter your strategy?

As someone who isn't fishing this tournament and has never fished this tournament, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on these questions. 

1. Personally, I would fish coves or main lake deep and shallow. Depends on where I seem to be catching more bigger fish. I'd probably try both depending on where I was at at the time. 

2. I'd take my time casting to each place multiple times from all different angles. That is just how I usually fish. Probably comes from not having a boat for years and having to do the majority of my fishing from the bank. 

3. I like fishing with a partner, but usually fish alone so neither would bother me. Conversation would be nice, as would having somebody to bounce ideas off of. 

4. Multiple baits. I'd have all my rods (which isn't that many) rigged with something different.

5. It doesn't bother me too much to follow someone. Especially if they aren't catching too many.  However, I'd probably try to find some water of my own. 

6. As for the last two, I have no idea how I'd handle weigh ins. I also, do care what the weather is. I'd prefer miserable weather conditions if I am competing. It might make some other people less focused that don't handle miserable weather well. 

a 14 ft john boat and trolling motor would be just fine in an event like this.  Just troll out of the restricted area at one of the weigh in places, drop your anchor on a point and fish in 10 to 15 feet of water with a jig.  All it takes is one cast, the fish will obviously be replenishing every hour.

It is far to soon to figure stratagy I would think except for locales. Patterns can change very very fast. fish are also starting to change there seasonal habits. It is really a crap shoot for outsiders. I have not been out on LOZ since last week. So I am lost right now. 

I would say use a big bait like a jig with a beavertail trailer and cover alot of water....or maybe try a big swimbait....You may not catch many but it only takes one big bite to win it1

Go practice skipping jigs with a baitcaster if you want to prefish. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that a lot of those money fish are caught by somebody skipping a jig back behind docks near concrete supports. Any dock on that lake could hold a 7 pounder. It just comes down to getting that lucky bite at that point.

45 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Wear a lucky yellow shirt too:D

Our club fish off is this Saturday. I better find that shirt so I can catch some fish. :D

20 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Solo or with a partner?

Most on my game plan as to where to start and what to use will be based on what and where I have caught big fish before.

Deep, shallow, or in between? All of it but top water early and then maybe here and there after that.

Main lake, or in the creeks/coves? Again, all of it until a pattern develops.  

Methodical dissecting of each area, or cover as much water as possible? I like to cover water but will slow down if a fish is caught and then will work and area more thoroughly. I also slow down to fish an area known to have brush or other structure. But not far long.

Solo or with a partner? I fish by myself but stay with others who also have boats and we discuss strategy and also call each other if we find something that is working.

Multiple techniques and baits, or stick with what you do best? Both I always have my favorite bait on and throw it a lot during the day. But will throw other things for different areas if I think they might work better at that spot.

Would you fish behind other anglers, or burn some gas and try to stay in fresh untouched water? No problem fishing behind others and having fished the BBB many times before that is most likely the only choice. We normally fish from the dam down to the 10 mile mark.

Would you burn up time running to a weigh location and standing in line with a 3-5lber, or not bother with anything under 6? Any fish close to a check will get weighed. Like the exact 3 or 4 lber. They actually have a good system to get people in and out quickly. Usually it does not take long to get a fish weighed and back on the water.

Do you hope it is sunny or cloudy, and how will the weather conditions alter your strategy? Won’t matter except I might try topwater more if it is cloudy.