Diversification of Taneycomo Trout

MoCarp

• Root Admin

There are a lot of rainbows in our lake now that have red markings under the throat.  People call them cuttbows which they are not.  Those of us that can tell the difference would but most Taney anglers wouldn't know the difference.  So stocked cutts would be cleaned with all other rainbows... so nix any kind of special limit on cutts if added to the stocking list.

Missouri has always said brooks and cutts are problematic before of growth rates and costs.  They've never budged on considering them for any water in MO.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, skeeter said:

If you recall, they stocked Steelhead in Taney in the 70's.  Caught a few.  

Back in '60's they stocked Coho but I guess didn't do well.

I live next to the Niangua River and have Rainbows and Browns, it would help here if so many wouldn't keep the Browns but this is the reason I don't go out of my way to fish Taneycomo but would fish the White for more spices.

oneshot

To me,  the idea of brook and cutthroat trout in an Ozark tailwater is something that doesn't make sense. I know it's been done, some people like it, but you do wonder if those are the people that have never been out west before and want to cross a species off the bucket list. No offense intended-you just aren't going to be impressed by a White river cuttie if you've caught the real article in the mountain west. They barely even look like the same species.

Those are fish that I like almost exclusively because they come in small, often high elevation streams in beautiful, remote parts of the world. Even though many of the places I enjoy catching brookies (out west) are far outside their native range, you are still talking about wild fish in rough and tumble mountain streams, or lakes tucked away in a picturesque little cirque somewhere above treeline. You try to translate that to Taneycomo or the White River, or even one of the freestone/spring-fed streams around here, and the effect is pretty much lost.

Basically, I like fishing big midwestern tailwaters sometimes, and I really like cutties and brookies in places where they belong...but those are two completely different types of attractions and I'd be fine if they never came together.

I mean, I like catching largemouth bass, and I'd also love to go fishing in Alaska, but I'd be kind of freaked out if I started catching bucketmouths in the Kenai River, right?

Ozark Trout Fisher is spot on.   Although Utah seems to have a good hold on raising the tiger trout. It is where and how you catch the native fish in my opinion. The Mrs. and I have just completed the Utah cutt slam. Four of the NATIVE cutthroat  in Utah in each of their respective areas,

DSCF2701.JPGDSCF2720.JPG

DSCF3019.JPGDSCF3134.JPG

Been there done that in the program in Wyoming. Also caught the natives in Montana. Which are the bull trout, grayling, westslope cutt, Yellowstone cutt and interior redband rainbow. For those of you that don't venture to other forums here on OAF here is a trip report if you want to see what going native is all about and yes after the cutt slam we caught the non natives too,

Leave what we have here in Missouri alone and enjoy it but try to go native if you are able,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

4 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Ozark Trout Fisher is spot on.   Although Utah seems to have a good hold on raising the tiger trout. It is where and how you catch the native fish in my opinion. The Mrs. and I have just completed the Utah cutt slam. Four of the NATIVE cutthroat  in Utah in each of their respective areas,

DSCF2701.JPGDSCF2720.JPG

DSCF3019.JPGDSCF3134.JPG

Been there done that in the program in Wyoming. Also caught the natives in Montana. Which are the bull trout, grayling, westslope cutt, Yellowstone cutt and interior redband rainbow. For those of you that don't venture to other forums here on OAF here is a trip report if you want to see what going native is all about and yes after the cutt slam we caught the non natives too,

Leave what we have here in Missouri alone and enjoy it but try to go native if you are able,

BilletHead

Just looking at those pictures has me on the verge of blowing off work and buying a plane ticket to Denver or SLC!

8 minutes ago, ozark trout fisher said:

Just looking at those pictures has me on the verge of blowing off work and buying a plane ticket to Denver or SLC!

I know what you mean, even with just getting back I am ready to go again. I have even been given the go ahead by the Mrs. if I would like BUT, like other times I think this is a test :) . That and after all these years together it would be a tough thing doing by myself what we like to do as a team. I look at the natives we have left. That was not our goal in the past but now that list is getting shorter. God willing we will do it again,

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

5 hours ago, BilletHead said:

For those of you that don't venture to other forums here on OAF here is a trip report if you want to see what going native is all about and yes after the cutt slam we caught the non natives too,

Gratuitous plug for your own posts :P!

2 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

Gratuitous plug for your own posts :P!

You bet,

There are those who never look at other threads or posts because they may be about trout and not a bass. They should see how the other people do. I for one look at the bass guys posts. I don't mind spreading the love around. What can I say I like all fish. Even the minnows Livie, Ham and even you catch. I still think you need do down one whole and wiggling :x_x:

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

5 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

I still think you need do down one whole and wiggling :x_x:

There have been a few gold fish that have been still wiggling as they were swallowed with a fair amount of beer :rolleyes:, but that was many moons ago. Never swallowed any streamside :)!