Frogs, yes or no on the rivers?

drew03cmc

I tried it. I got a few bites. I decided it wasn’t worth taking a dedicated setup, bu you may find the exact opposite.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

I don't use the hollow bellied frogs so much but texas rigged or screw-loc swimbait hooked plastic toads, heck yeah.  One of the best producing topwater smallmouth baits that I use.  Totally weedless so you can throw them anywhere.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Take a KVD Sexy Frog, bend the hooks out a few degrees, trim the skirts (legs) to the same length as the body, and then trim half the strands of one leg about 3/16" shorter than the others (this makes getting it started walking easier).   Then tie it on 15-20# flouro with a no-slip loop knot.    

When they eat it, pause for a second  then sweep hard to the side.   

They definitely work.  I don't use them much because I figure that something else will almost always work as well or better.  But if I know I'm going to be fishing weedy water I'll bring some along.  The solid plastic ones that act like a buzzbait on the retrieve.  There are some river stretches up in the North Country that will definitely see me throwing them, but most Ozark streams don't have enough weeds to make fishing them worthwhile for me.

Here is the one I've been using for the past few years.

10138885.jpg

It's an H2O from Academy.

Yeah other things might work but I can safely put this where you aren't going to put a regular topwater. I more concerned with getting it up in the laydowns and wads more than any weeds. And I really don't care if it walks the dog all that well because that's not the way I have been fishing it. Twitching, pausing, crawling over logs......has created some exciting moments.