Redneck Drift Boat Project-Finally got the oars on the Paddle Jon

Finally got the oars on! The stock locks were way to low. Hit me in the knee caps. Found some oar mounts, and the rest of the hardware at NRS. These are the 10"  mounts but might return and order the 6" or 8". They are designed to mount on WW cataraft frames with bigger tubing so a spacer is required to mount on a Jon boat. Some flexible but rigid 1 1/4 spa tubing did the trick.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't see any leg locks/standing braces.😎

Seriously though, in for the updates as I've been considering this for my jon boat too. I would like to see some more detail shots of how those are mounted — maybe a shot or two from beneath.

Did pretty well on the Gasconade this weekend. Had to walk allot of shoals due to water level, but handled great while fishing. We brought way to much stuff, caught a decent number of fish. Was fun...Did 20 miles, each oared about half of it...and we need more practice...but no major mishaps. Was fun, but a heck of an upper body workout. Hit a few muscles I have not used much in a long time.

IMGP0055.JPG

IMGP0057.JPG

IMGP0059.JPG

IMGP0062.JPG

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Awesome build. I'm trying to find the best oar mount/lock setup myself. How's it holding up? Would you do anything differently? Has there been any bending of the gunwale with all the rowing torque? Thanks

I use the tolling motor more than the oars. It’s camoed with a led light bar now. It works great in the duck marsh as well as down river. Holding up fine and those NRS oar locks will outlast the boat. I have a shorter set of NRS locks if you want them. They were a bit shorter than I wanted.