High Pucker Factor Morning on the Upper End

rps

2 hours ago, rps said:

There are fuses on the troll motor batteries. They did not trip

It didn't short to ground or overload the circuit then, it simply got hot because of a poor connection at the plug splice.  

Eventually it would have melted into a short and tripped the breaker.   Hopefully before anything caught on fire.

1 hour ago, merc1997 said:

i was wondering why it did not kick the breaker that should have been in the line???

bo

The weak connection burnt up at less amperage than what the breaker was designed for, so therefore it burnt that area up first.    The sizzling he heard was probably the adhesive on the tape being boiled by the molten copper.

A bad connection is basically a fuse....that is uncontained.   The only difference is that a fuse is sealed off so that oxygen can't fuel a fire. It burns in two and beings as there is no oxygen there the circuit is broken safely.

A BREAKER has a heat sensitive spring that breaks the circuit when it gets to a pre-determined temperature far less than the melting point of the wiring.  Once it cools back off it can be reset, or if so designed it will reset itself.  The entire circuit needs to be in good condition though for the fuse/breaker to effectively protect the circuit.  Poorly crimped connectors and dirty plug terminals kill it.  

Wow. Glad you are okay RPS and caught it in time before it got real serious. Fires on boats are scary for sure. Had a fire one time a few years ago from idiotic oversight but was quick to react. Can bet I won't make that mistake again. Let's just say I needed a new set of jumper cables and a new set of underpants.

From a guy that's in them everyday, first thank God you and your toys are not damaged to any large extent.  Second, if your boat has under 6ga. wire to any of the components jerk that crud out and put 6 or heaver especially to your trolling motor, I don't care what any boat company tells you. 6ga. is the absolute minimum.

Wrench hit is square on the head with the connections, fewer the better, and direct wiring is really the only safe way especially if you have a metal boat.  Just by jarring that TM plug you can have a real light show.  Voice of experience here.

How many house fires are caused by to small wiring trying to carry to heavy of a load? 

On your battery cut off switches make sure you have asked that your TM has been put on it, cause most of the time it HAS NOT.

Randy, glad this was just a quick pants check and not a major deal.

Today I went down to the boat with real tools and re-spliced the wires in a better fashion than what I did yesterday on the water with side cutters, a knife, and tape. Surprise, surprise, the TM came on the first time I pushed the button.

I appreciate the professional advice and I will decide whether to replace the burned vinyl and carpet or just patch the vinyl until I plan to sell the boat.

As for making the changes suggested, I do not know enough to drag the boat to Ulrich (who I trust) and tell them what I want done. Check me to make sure I have it right:

1. Check to make sure all electrical runs are 6 gauge wire or heavier.

2. Hardwire the trolling motor into the system.

3. Make sure the TM is wired into the battery cutoff switch.

Does that cover it?

19 minutes ago, Bill Babler said:

From a guy that's in them everyday, first thank God you and your toys are not damaged to any large extent.  Second, if your boat has under 6ga. wire to any of the components jerk that crud out and put 6 or heaver especially to your trolling motor, I don't care what any boat company tells you. 6ga. is the absolute minimum.

Wrench hit is square on the head with the connections, fewer the better, and direct wiring is really the only safe way especially if you have a metal boat.  Just by jarring that TM plug you can have a real light show.  Voice of experience here.

How many house fires are caused by to small wiring trying to carry to heavy of a load? 

On your battery cut off switches make sure you have asked that your TM has been put on it, cause most of the time it HAS NOT.

Randy, glad this was just a quick pants check and not a major deal.

I wasn't going to discuss the state of my underwear, Bill, but you had to go there. 🤣

BTW, if wrench were less than 3 hours away, I would be on his door step.