16 vs 20 foot trout boat

• Members

Regarding the fiberglass trout boats,  most are 20 foot length but i keep seeing a few 16 footers.  I know the longer ones were built for guides that have several people in the boat. If a person was just fishing with one other person is there a reason a 16 footer wouldn't work? Stability issues? 

There was a thread about this previously, but I’ll give you the abbreviated version of my opinion.

I have zero interest in a 16 foot boat. The 20 foot boat will out perform the 16 footer and can comfortably fish 3 or 4 (if you’re careful) ppl. The 20 footer will run faster and shallower. Not many spots where the 20 foot length is going to put you in a bind.

There is no significant difference in weight as far as trailering.

There is a reason that the 20 footer is standard.

The only “advantage” of a 16 foot boat would be easier to store in a garage. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, Jdecoudres said:

Has anyone used these 20ft trout boats on lakes for bass? If so how do they do? 

Not Great. Generally, you get beat up by waves and blown around by the wind. The trout boats are a specialized tool. ; You can drive a small nail with a screw driver, but a hammer works a lot better. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

I have a 20 foot Supreme 207xp (love the boat), i spent time in a 16 footer and it felt real tight to me and i didn't like it.

I use mine on the lake if the wind is under 10mph.  it does ok, is it ideal.. .no its not.  They don't have a keel and i have a 60/40 jet motor so there is nothing in the water to keep the boat going in a straight line unless you face into the wind.  I use mine on the lake more than on the river actually but that's because I live on Beaver lake and the white is 2 hours away.  I have a 12 volt powerdrive motor on it and an 42" front deck.  I can comfortably bass fish off it when its fairly calm but its not like my bass boat was but i make it work.  if you are on the lake and the wind kicks up, its going to be a rough ride to the ramp with that flat bottom boat

I got the 16 because it would fit in a small garage but would love to have a 20 someday. The 16 works out decently from a space perspective for fishing 2 people, especially when both anglers are familiar with the best practices of boat fishing, but you get a dog or a person not so familiar with boating in there and it gets small quick... 3 people and gear and you gotta basically act like you're in a canoe or raft almost... but overall I enjoy it and it gets the job done. I can carry 8 rods, fly or conventional and a decent amount of gear. Definitely not a speed boat and you'll be basically plowing through the water with 3 people... 

I don't how those guys row those 20's... I have oars too and good grief it's a total PITA so I barley use them (probably need to sell). 

Best upgrade I have done so far was adding the foam decking to the whole boat. Didn't make the boat any bigger but a lot more comfortable. 

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach