Any chain pickerel people on here?

MoCarp

I like catching them as well. Longest was over 24 inches, but that was in PA. Only caught them in the 11 pt in MO. Could have caught them on a Current river trip but focused on other species.

Pretty small for Duck Creek.  When was that pic taken?  Looking at the background I am thinking 60's.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

1 hour ago, tjm said:

caught plenty of them in New England mill ponds back when.  That's a thick one. What did it weigh?

It was just at 4# 24” I’m my memory serves me, need to dig out the certificate I’ve slept since then

39 minutes ago, jdmidwest said:

Pretty small for Duck Creek.  When was that pic taken?  Looking at the background I am thinking 60's.

It was 1988 or 89..we saw a few about 5 ish a tad bigger but fish at that time ran 2 ish, 17 or 18” caught some nice warmouth and crappie, we had give up trying to catch them on bass gear and started hitting the multi trunk cypress trees and I was flipping a bets ice fly with white hackle like a jig on the ultra lite you see there, thought for sure it was going to cut me off, thing was a jumping fool, it was much heavier built that a northern of the same size...water had come up and had a bit of color than normal and according to the locals fishing was a bit off

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

So, a pickerel story, to start with they must get a bit bigger in the south I don't recall ever catching one over 24" -3#? and skinny, but,  I was working a city park lake about 40A and less than 15' I think, about 20' wide weed and lillypad edge band in ~3' water with a Mickey Finn and caught a small 9-9.5" pickerel out about 20' from me and as I  pulled it in it was smashed and swallowed by a 17'5" pickerel. Pulled both in and while I was measuring the big one it regurgitated the small one; I got my fly back and both fish swam away. A couple lmb went home with me for supper. Ferocious fish.