Would This Be Appropriate?

oneshot

14 hours ago, oneshot said:

I use to ride from Springfield to Willard but I was much younger.

Just riding from here to Lebanon wouldn’t be bad but might be dangerous.

My wife and I ride that a few times a year still. The funny part about that is. Back in the day, when it was a working Railroad. I used to ride that rail in my truck from Springfield to Bolivar and work on the crossing signals.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

I've been a bit of a bike freak not that long ago.  Have a Jamis Coda Elite, A Scott Speedster and a Felt 29'er that I changed to a rigid fork.  Now that my second hip has been fixed, I'm hoping to be able to enjoy riding again soon.  I never rode very fast, but I could easy ride 30 miles and actually did Springfield Bike Club Century in 2007or 2008, can't remember for sure.  Still have that wrinkled sweat stained route map in a frame somewhere around the place.

Bike shops are great places.

39 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I've been a bit of a bike freak not that long ago.  Have a Jamis Coda Elite, A Scott Speedster and a Felt 29'er that I changed to a rigid fork.  Now that my second hip has been fixed, I'm hoping to be able to enjoy riding again soon.  I never rode very fast, but I could easy ride 30 miles and actually did Springfield Bike Club Century in 2007or 2008, can't remember for sure.  Still have that wrinkled sweat stained route map in a frame somewhere around the place.

Bike shops are great places.

I average 11-12 mph but most of that is chat trails or hilly terrain.  Today we'll ride into Historic St Charles.  15 mile ride trip again so it's 1 hour 10 minute ride or so.  We go longer when the trails isn't soggy like it is now.  In the summer we ride to Defiance and Augusta.  Have a beer when we're done.

14 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

That's awesome.  Who is They?   Is it a state department doing it?

This is who is doing it around here.  we have 100's of miles of trails.   https://greatriversgreenway.org/

This doesn't include the IL side.  https://greatriversgreenway.org/greenway-search/?mode=map

5 hours ago, liphunter said:

My wife and I ride that a few times a year still. The funny part about that is. Back in the day, when it was a working Railroad. I used to ride that rail in my truck from Springfield to Bolivar and work on the crossing signals.

Oh Old I knew couple Guys is Springfield that retired from building Steam Engines for the Rail Road. But I also knew an Indian that remembered traveling with his family, living in a Teepee.

I protested them shutting down the Rails for  Bike Trails because the land was to revert back to the farmers.

oneshot

It probably never was farmers' land, mostly the Federal government financed the building of railroads and the farmers came later, after the rails provided a supply line and a market. 

I always encourage cycling, it cuts down on creek use. I'd vote for a program where the state would trade two bikes for every kayak turned in.  I envision a bicycle lane  on all major highways, imagine pedaling from St. Louis to San Francisco on dedicated trails and never having to waste time around water. We could create a special sales tax to provide quality bicycles to all the urban kids instead of trying to recruit them as fish killers.