Good wade fishing river access near Fenton

• Members

Hi guys & gals I've recently been getting back into fly fishing again and I've been looking for some good areas within a hour drive of Fenton to do some wade fishing, preferably for bass large or smallmouth.  I hit a couple spots along the Big River around the Cedar Hill and Byrnes Mill accesses last weekend but found I couldn't go far until hitting deep water or drunk people swimming, LOL.  I'd like to find something I could wade a couple miles and catch some fish on a hot day.  Any ideas of some decent river or creek access.  Doing some research maybe St. Francis State Park might be a good place to try early morning Saturday.  About 15 years ago I used to wade fish Plattin Creek outside of Festus with some success but started getting run off by the police at a low water bridge I parked at.  Is there any public access along Plattin Creek if the fishing is still any good.  Thanks in advance.

• Members
33 minutes ago, jfrith said:

Will be pretty tough anywhere with the current crowds.

Yeah was planning on starting at first light and heading home when it starts getting busy.

• Members

Well I'm thinking about trying either St. Francois State park access or going a little further down to the Bootleg access outside of Potosi.  Anyone have any recent experience with these places and recommend one over the other?  

1 hour ago, Tobey said:

Well I'm thinking about trying either St. Francois State park access or going a little further down to the Bootleg access outside of Potosi.  Anyone have any recent experience with these places and recommend one over the other?  

I have a place down there and had my driver side truck window broken out last week at Bootleg. Fishing wise it's a toss up......if you are only fly fishing I would go to the upper Castor River if it were me. Easy wading very clear and fish are aggressive, you won't see too many giants but. you'll have good action and it's an open corridor with room to cast

• Members
15 minutes ago, Smalliebigs said:

I have a place down there and had my driver side truck window broken out last week at Bootleg. Fishing wise it's a toss up......if you are only fly fishing I would go to the upper Castor River if it were me. Easy wading very clear and fish are aggressive, you won't see too many giants but. you'll have good action and it's an open corridor with room to cast

Thanks for warning on Bootleg Smalliebigs!  I'm not familiar with upper Castor River, do you know an access point I could look up?  Yes fly fishing only.

7 hours ago, Smalliebigs said:

Did they steal anything or just doing donuts?

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

• Members
11 minutes ago, Jeff Maberry said:

You might try Mineral Fork, Kingston azcess is just south of Washington state park

Thanks Jeff I know where that's at but have never been there.  Have you done any fishing and wading here?