Hybrids

96 CHAMP

The whites are pretty easy to find as you say on wind blown banks and points, and yes you hope to hook into a hybrid while catching whites. It’s a game of luck I imagine actually finding a school of them unless you do some serious searching with your sonar, with that my cousin had a blast catching whites. Luckily I did hook  into one wiper I assume, I had absolutely no control on this guy, he had a major attitude, I tried to get him out to deeper water where I could play him out but the rascal got me wrapped around I believe some big rocks, it was a blast though, most likely going to come down next week for a few days and try again. I think this time I am going to throw some bigger swim baits and such and not directly fish for whites. Tight lines!

22 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

You ever wonder where those hybrids there originally came from?   

There's a stretch of railroad rip-rap on the Mo.River near Booneville that is absolutely loaded with them too.   Reportedly no stockings anywhere near there.  

Our assumed intelligent fisheries biologists claim that they predominantly migrate downstream, seldom found upstream from where they are stocked.  Totally BS!  

I know they came from a hatchery somewhere and that's about it.

2 hours ago, Terrierman said:

I know they came from a hatchery somewhere and that's about it.

Nobody knows much of anything about them, that's why I hate them. 

The boneheaded biologists think (or act like) they know..... but they obviously don't.  I respect alot of the worthwhile things they do, but when they get bored and start playing Dr. Frankenstein it never turns out good.....and that's when the mis-information and cover-ups begin.  

There was never any EDUCATED reason to introduce their attic experiments into our lakes and rivers....and now they are roaming everywhere, steadily polluting the gene pool of their closest native cousins.....and they force us to pay for it.   Even those of us that are staunchly opposed to it.

2 hours ago, JPFisher55 said:

I thought that Hybrids are sterile

I understand why you thought that. You trusted that tidbit of info was factual because the person who stated it had an official sounding title that you associated with FACTS.

But it isn't true.   

Do you understand why there is such a critter known as a "Meanmouth bass"?    Same deal.

Ever heard of a "Grass carp"?  There ya go again.

Well not quite the same things.  Grass carp and Hybrid/wipers are triplods and basically sterile like mules but some are capable of breeding, they must be stocked.  Mean mouth and many other sunfishes are natural hybrids and happen frequently on their own.

57 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

Well not quite the same things.  Grass carp and Hybrid/wipers are triplods and basically sterile like mules but some are capable of breeding, they must be stocked.  Mean mouth and many other sunfishes are natural hybrids and happen frequently on their own.

Hey, hey slow down there MOPAN.  Let's not let science get in the way of a good ole biologist bashin...

Carry on Wrench. 

41 minutes ago, Gumboot said:

Hey, hey slow down there MOPAN.  Let's not let science get in the way of a good ole biologist bashin...

Carry on Wrench. 

Science is only good when it's accurate and applicable.  

Two hybrid stripers are unlikely to produce surviving offspring only because of the bouyancy and sticky/tacky factor of the eggs.   BUT a stocked Hybrid Striper and a native White bass can, and do, produce offspring (mutts).  And those offspring have traits that are not proven to be good for the gene pool in the long run.   

And if it turns out to be a poor choice....it is IRREVERSIBLE.   They'll never be able to correct/fix it.    

Rule#1:.  Don't phuck with mother nature!

If biologists were as smart as they think they are.....then why are they still conducting experiments?   Their actions indicate that they believe that they already know EVERYTHING.

2 hours ago, MOPanfisher said:

Well not quite the same things. 

It's exactly the same thing.  Cross-breeding.  

When it happens in nature, the problem takes care of itself.... usually.   When it happens in mass, such as when giant organizations participate in MAKING it happen, it can very easily cause irreversible damage.     That has happened alot over our history, and I can't think of one single instance where it was a good move.

2 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Science is only good when it's accurate and applicable.  

Two hybrid stripers are unlikely to produce surviving offspring only because of the bouyancy and sticky/tacky factor of the eggs.   BUT a stocked Hybrid Striper and a native White bass can, and do, produce offspring (mutts).  And those offspring have traits that are not proven to be good for the gene pool in the long run.   

And if it turns out to be a poor choice....it is IRREVERSIBLE.   They'll never be able to correct/fix it.    

Rule#1:.  Don't phuck with mother nature!

If biologists were as smart as they think they are.....then why are they still conducting experiments?   Their actions indicate that they believe that they already know EVERYTHING.

Holy cow..  New info..  Please provide your source.  I need to see this.  I don't have time to do my own job let alone run my own cross (your bad word) with mother nature experiments.   I need your data. .... Or is this just what you believe is going on? Please clarify. I need to know.