Gammarus Study/Sampling

Phil Lilley

23 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

So what have we learned about scuds and sowbugs THIS TIME that we already didn't know ? 

Typical MDC method of operation.....Study it until it is extinct.  🙄

They study it as monitoring a population, I think it says that in the start of the paper...bad water quality and golf courses go hand in hand...in my common carp research, waters where carp get out of control run off from golf courses is a big issue...I know weeds and silt has become an issue on Taney in some areas...my 1st thoughts are what habitat would that be good for? Palaemonetes paludosus, known as ghost shrimp, glass shrimp, and eastern grass shrimp Should do well, they are abundant in the weeds at Busch wild life CA north of Nevada, and chain pickerel, more effective predators on the sucker populations ( Tiger Trout) could be an easy fix...unsure how chain pike compete with trout, but back east they seem to co exist with out issues....historically chain pike was in the white river drainage, would be another angling opportunity Down lake in waters too cold for bass but a tad warm for trout...the shrimp would be a no brainer as long as no diseases introductions occurred...as more fishing pressure happens we need ways to spread out the love so to speak

15E61F8A-5736-4D04-90CE-6BBBDE35D675.jpeg

5B93BF19-ADEF-4696-8789-BD1A56FE633F.jpeg

E3182BFF-8BF8-428A-9214-91E8938644EC.jpeg

B3F2EE01-1B3A-4323-BC93-36CD44EEF481.jpeg

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

I would think that the constant Up/Down fluctuations of a tailwater would drastically effect the scud population. Especially in the upper end.  

I know that crawdads are extremely scarce below Bagnell and Truman dams.   

It may.  They live primarily in gravel.  The gravel actually gives them a foot hold unless, and we see this happen when they run gates, they run so much water that it rolls the gravel.  That's when the scuds are relocated.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• 3 months later...

In ‘60’s I fished there regular.

Me and my wife went down there a few years ago and I caught some Trout.

My wife cooked them. I told her she was in for a treat. We started eating and looked at each other at the same time. Tasted the same as out of the Niangua River.

Well like we said no reason to drive all the way down there just to Trout fish.

Now Branson has to do a major overhaul on its shows. We are burnt out on what they have now. If we go down there we like Forsyth.

oneshot

• 9 months later...
19 hours ago, dave potts said:

I just watched that video.  With all those live ones to gorge on, why would a trout pick out my fly to eat?

I think from Phil's reply just above that we can infer the scuds aren't always that numerous in the water column. "we see this happen when they run gates, they run so much water that it rolls the gravel.  That's when the scuds are relocated. "

You must come see the scuds here for yourself - scoop up a handful of gravel... find out what color for the day!

SowScud.4.JPG

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.