Sucker Fest 4/3/21

Ham

Dang, Ham...I'm pretty good at IDing fish, but those kinda have me stumped.  I don't think either of the ones you're stumped on are redhorse at all.  The first one looks like a really big white sucker, with the scales that get smaller toward the head. And that last one...if you were in Montana I'd call that a mountain sucker.  The really long body and really long head look just like the mountain suckers I catch out here in Montana fly fishing.  And it for sure doesn't look like any of the redhorse species.  It just doesn't match any sucker species that I know of in Missouri.  I'm in Montana right now and don't have my fish ID books, but I can't find anything on the internet that both looks like that one and lives anywhere near Missouri or Arkansas.

8 hours ago, Ham said:

4 th guy. Help Me!

D05F3253-67E4-4990-9AB8-00AB92EB8721.jpeg

443AAF35-E05A-4D68-9273-753F8A0E6E7A.jpeg

Well if I was to place a bet, I'd say it is a Western Creek Chubsucker.  And a good one as they supposedly max out at about 10 inches.  No record for one listed in AGFC state records BTW, but Arkansas is in their range of distribution.  

large.chubsucker.jpg

I'm gonna go with Make and Female White Sucker. I'm confused because I rely on Science and studies of fish found in Crooked Creek. The 2011 Journal of the Academy of Science Vol 65 Art 16 The Fishes of Crooked Creek doesn't show White Suckers as a possible species.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish