Alligator Gar in KS - More multispecies opportunities?

Johnsfolly

Four-Foot Alligator Gar Fish Caught in Kansas Is First Ever Recorded in State (msn.com)

Interesting read. Seems like a purposeful release. Most likely a once and done situation. Looks like he may have killed the fish. They are a bucket list fish for me and maybe some others. I doubt KS will be the go to location for big gator gars in the future.

1 hour ago, Quillback said:

I thought the comment about it possibly being purchased at a pet store was interesting.  I have never seen gar of any kind for sale in a pet or aquarium store.  

I do see videos of places in FL that sell gar and other unusual predatory species. I'm sure that online sales is a big part of their business.

I'd have never thought you could buy 'gator gar online, so I had to look. Yep. Average prices seem to run ~ $30 for 2-3", $80 for 6-7", & $200 for 9-10". There's an idea for supplemental retirement income...

I can't dance like I used to.

Gar fish for sale - Exotic Fish Shop | 774-400-4598

These guys have a platinum alligator gar. On sale for $1500. Would look good in @FishnDave koi pond😉

1 hour ago, Johnsfolly said:

Gar fish for sale - Exotic Fish Shop | 774-400-4598

These guys have a platinum alligator gar. On sale for $1500. Would look good in @FishnDave koi pond😉

I'm wondering a bit about their species claim, as in the "spotted alligator gar" - are they trying to sell a spotted gar as an alligator gar?  That being said, the platinum gar is pretty cool, but not $1,500 cool.  

1 hour ago, Quillback said:

I'm wondering a bit about their species claim, as in the "spotted alligator gar" - are they trying to sell a spotted gar as an alligator gar?  That being said, the platinum gar is pretty cool, but not $1,500 cool.  

The snouts on those spotted alligator gar look too thin to be an alligator gar and the body shape is more like a spotted gar.