Favorite Taneycomo Water Level and Why ?

I've got mine - what is yours ?

2 units - with bluebird skies and an empty bladder. 

I prefer two units running - it is when I find most large rainbows face upstream.

What is ideal for you and your style ? When all aligns - how would you describe the perfect day ?

Cheers- Brian

2footdeepTaneycomo.3.jpg

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.

I like the change in generation, makes things interesting,  but wish they published the schedule at least a week in advance and either have zero generation (20cfs)  or  1 to 2 units.  

1 unit if I'm just out having fun or 4+ units of sustained flow. High flows are tougher to fish, but it makes the fish super predictable and we tend to catch more big fish during those times. My LEAST favorite is when it ramps up to 4 units for a few hours and then back down. Running it up to 2 units is fine and helps the bite IMO but I struggle for atleast an hour or two while the fish get acclimated to the heavy influx of water. The line trash is usually extra bad during that time from all the moss getting kicked up.

Four, hard, sustained units so I can target the big browns tight to structure or the bottom. 

If I just want to have fun, 0 units with my 6 wt and a small box of streamers from the cable to Trophy Run (at night or mid-day).

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

2 units is by far my favorite Jerkbait water.  My ideal is they had the gates open for a week and then close them and crank it back to 2 units.  So the fish are used to seeing shad but the water is much more manageable to fish and they are on the prowl more for a jerkbait.  I caught 22 browns in one day a few years back on this exact scenario. 

For throwing jigs either straight or with a jig and float I like 1 unit going and a light misty rain with a slight chop and all you other turkeys at home under a warm blanket :) 

21 hours ago, Travis Swift said:

For throwing jigs either straight or with a jig and float I like 1 unit going and a light misty rain with a slight chop and all you other turkeys at home under a warm blanket :) 

Throw in temps in the 30s and you'll really have the water to yourself. That's about as miserable as it gets.

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Throw in temps in the 30s and you'll really have the water to yourself. That's about as miserable as it gets.

I dunno, that day at jigfest, I forget which one, when my boat was frozen to the trailer enough to float the trailer was kind of bad too.

10 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I dunno, that day at jigfest, I forget which one, when my boat was frozen to the trailer enough to float the trailer was kind of bad too.

That was one I made and yes it took some time for our boats to float off the trailer! I had my throttle cable freeze up too that year. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead