Fishing at a Snail's Pace...

After catching my first flat bullhead, I got back to the car without enough time to go to the primary spot that I intended to fish for snail bullheads. I chose a closer location what was within 15 mins of my current location. This spot had a spillway and a levee that seemed to control the water in the swampy area upstream from the pool I would be fishing. 

New Hope Crk - 14Oct22.jpg

I started by fishing where I thought the edge of the concrete spillway would be. The bottom was pretty rocky and I was using about 1/4 to 3/8 oz of lead. I immediately got bites and again it was bluegill. Not sure how to get away from these guys 🤔.

Bluegill - New Hope Crk - 14Oct22.jpg

I made close casts in the rocks and where I thought the edge was. Still caught bluegill until the sun was setting quickly and the bluegill bite dropped off. I made some casts up the spillway but no bites. I made a long cast towards the island in the photo. I got a heavy thumping hit and got hung in brush when I set the hook. I was able to pull loose then hung again and pulled loose again. Thankful that I didn't lose my rig. I hate trying to tie on new terminal tackle at night using the headlamp. I made a shorter cast and felt like something picked up my bait. I set back and got a heavy pull. I had my light off and could not see the fish well enough to id when it was at the surface. It fought well and was a longer fish. I was thinking channel cat, but hoped for a bullhead. 

What I hadn't realized is that @Ham or @FishnDave must have set up a BowFunMe page for my trip🤣 as I landed a surprise bowfin😁!

Bowfin 1 - New Hope Crk - 14Oct22.jpg

Bowfin CP - New Hope Crk - 14Oct22.jpg

Only about 16 to 17 inches in length, but I was very happy. There are discussions about a split in the current species for bowfin with one species being on the east coast, Amia calva, and the other, Amia ocellicauda, ranging from the Great lakes down through the Mississippi river drainages. Prior to meeting Ham I have only caught one bowfin in Florida and had no photos. I caught bowfin while fishing with Ham in Texas, which would be the new species A. ocellicauda, and had photos of those fish. Now I have my photos (although a little blurry) of Amia calva😁. I fished for a while longer and tried above the spillway. Up there I only got slapped at by a beaver and no fish. I never did get a bullhead at this spot. Still had Saturday to try and work in another spot for those bullheads.

15 hours ago, Quillback said:

Cool, like those bowfin!

Well-marked one too. Me likie .

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

19 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

What I hadn't realized is that @Ham or @FishnDave must have set up a BowFunMe page for my trip🤣 as I landed a surprise bowfin😁!

Bowfin CP - New Hope Crk - 14Oct22.jpg

Only about 16 to 17 inches in length, but I was very happy. 

😆😆😆😆😆 that’s Funny! BowfunMe lol

always be Happy about catching a Bowfin! Especially a pretty one like that.

as always I’m Happy that you had a successful trip. Looking forward to future installments. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

On 10/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, Johnsfolly said:

You're welcome!  I usually try to keep my charity contributions on the down-low. 😄

The markings on that bowfin are amazing!  Beautiful fish!  Glad you caught the "new" species! :)