Live at BSSP

1 hour ago, tjm said:

What sort of fly, and what kind of structure?

Submerged log with a few branches. 5 to 6 foot deep. Was dragging crappie out of there when I pulled over a log and wham. A moving stream and a back eddy there. The same fly I just put in the fly swap. A couple days later a bigger one. It might be posted on the swap also. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

@tjm

Pm me your address and I will send you one.

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

2 hours ago, tjm said:

What sort of fly, and what kind of structure?

I’ve caught lots, mainly channels, fishing terrestrials and poppers for bluegill during the spawn.  They are in shallow at the same time.  Over pea gravel in shallow cuts, wood is better.

Mike

2 hours ago, nomolites said:

I’ve caught lots, mainly channels, fishing terrestrials and poppers for bluegill during the spawn.  They are in shallow at the same time.  Over pea gravel in shallow cuts, wood is better.

Mike

Many more channels than blues I agree for me too. 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Cats like purple.  I used to fish a local pay pond for fun back in the 90's.  It was overloaded with small bluegill and had several big bass lunking around in it.  But they tossed channel catfish in every month or so.  It was close, on way home, and only a couple of bucks.  Most of the time she did not even charge me when I took out a bucket or so of those small bluegills.  I stocked a few other ponds with them.  Size 16 furbug was killer.

Purple wooly would get all of the baitfishers crowding around me like Montauk on opening day.  Watched them cuss me as I tossed them back after a good fight on a 5 wt rod.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

It has always seemed to me  that  if I'm taking bass, goggle eye, green sunfish, various minnows  and crappie that I should occasionally find  a cat fish or carp, since they eat a lot of the same grub, but I never have. I have caught bullhead  on the fly though, by accident once and then I targeted them a few times.