Gas additives --Help??? Other fuel questions

Yeah I know🙄 

I went through a phase of hotrodding outboards earlier in my life.   Shaving heads, Tuning exhaust, stuffing crankcases, maxing out ignition timing, and swaging emulsion tubes.   I had a 2.4L chrome bore Merc 175 on a 188Champion that my friends were afraid to even get in.....and I was afraid to truly peg it myself.   I was the leading Wiseco dealer in the 3 state region for 4 years running.....and it wasn't because I was selling them to OTHER PEOPLE 😅

There's no free lunch in the high performance world.   So when you guys start telling these tales about higher performance with less fuel/oil consumption & increased engine life.....you're giving me a headache from excessive eye rolling 🙄 

I promise you that the only thing you can do to an outboard ECM that improves the powerband at the "seat of the pants" level.....is to DELETE portions of it's function.    And that definitely does not improve fuel economy or increase engine reliability.    

If by chance you can prove me wrong I can actually help you and I both to a very comfortable early retirement. 👍.    So by all means, let's GO !  😃

On 9/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, tjm said:

Shake a couple ounces up with some water, then let settle; the alcohol will mix with the water making it look like an increased volume of water and a decreased volume of gas, takes maybe 5 minutes with any clear container.

I'm not a boat guy, but what are the problems with ethanol blends that you are trying to combat?  It's a pretty good solvent and most gas additives are just solvents. 

Corn Ethanol and Gasoline have different Specific Gravities.  Gasoline containing Ethanol will eventually, if allowed to sit immobile for a period of time, separate, and the lighter gasoline will float to the top while the heavier Ethanol will sink to the bottom.....exactly where your fuel pick-up is located in a boat/car fuel tank.  Motion will restore, somewhat, the mixture of the two liquids. 

Ethanol has an affinity for water and will absorb water from the atmosphere and the more humid the percentage of the atmosphere is, the more humidity available for the process.  One of the reasons engine builders were finding rusted surfaces in engines they were tearing down.  

However, there is a move going on to force all gasoline to contain 15% Ethanol and that is NOT a good thing ! 

On 9/17/2023 at 9:48 PM, tjm said:

when they flash the ECU don't they change the parameters that set those things? More narrowly define the operating conditions? If the software changes in pulse width and timing favor higher octane, wouldn't that retuning cause poorer performance with lower octanes?  I'm not up to date on this sort thing, but it seems kinda  like recurving a distributor advance. 

Hydro-tech said flashing the Yamaha SHO 225 ECU allowed the butterfly on the throttle body to come fully open instead of just partially.  Made a huge, immediately noticeable difference in performance and hole shot.

1 hour ago, skeeter said:

Hydro-tech said flashing the Yamaha SHO 225 ECU allowed the butterfly on the throttle body to come fully open instead of just partially.  Made a huge, immediately noticeable difference in performance and hole shot.

If controlled by a servo that would be done via deleting consideration of the O2 sensor output.  

16 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

He just said he doesn't run it very hard.  

Can you define "flashed" for me ?

Now there are times when it does get pushed to its limits, but day in day out i have been keeping at 60 and under. I’m getting older ya know. 😉

TinBoats BassClub.  An aluminum only bass club. If interested in info send me a PM. 

35 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Now there are times when it does get pushed to its limits, but day in day out i have been keeping at 60 and under. I’m getting older ya know. 😉

Yeah yeah, I know.   It's impossible to just casually FOLLOW a Nitro or a Ranger.  🙄