Roundhouse Shoals 4-18

netboy

I waded at Roundhouse Shoals this morning and had a fun trip. The caddis hatch has started and I am seeing more bugs every day starting around 9 once the sun warms things up. I ended the morning with around 20, all rainbows and 1 lone cutthroat. All were caught on top on a green foam body elk hair caddis. I fished the dam C&R area yesterday and saw very few caddis up there. It will probably be another week before they get going up there. I did get this nice rainbow....

4-18-24b.jpg

11 hours ago, mikeak said:

Nice. Glad you made it home safe. How was your trip

Mike

Trip was great. Lots of interesting sights as well as great food and wines. Here is a pic of the ship we were on and a visit to Pont Du Gard, an ancient Roman aqueduct near Avignon....

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

• Members

I really appreciate your reports and hope the best of Caddis are yet to come.  Would you mind sharing what foam you use with your elk hair Caddis for the body?   I’ve used 1mm Hairline  for 16’s but only color options I’ve found is olive or chartreuse.   Neither color really match the natural very well. 

thanks,

Larry 

"All first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that Apostle John, the favorite, was a dry fly fisherman..."Norman MacLean

8 hours ago, Lshack2 said:

I really appreciate your reports and hope the best of Caddis are yet to come.  Would you mind sharing what foam you use with your elk hair Caddis for the body?   I’ve used 1mm Hairline  for 16’s but only color options I’ve found is olive or chartreuse.   Neither color really match the natural very well. 

thanks,

Larry 

I use the smallest WAPSI cylinders and then color them with a green Sharpie. I also burn the end which gives it a nice looking tail.

• Members

Thank you!  Very helpful 

"All first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that Apostle John, the favorite, was a dry fly fisherman..."Norman MacLean