Best gas for Mercury 200 HP Pro XS 4 stroke

pstone

3 hours ago, vernon said:

Since end of season is fast approaching, what do you recommend regarding gas that is left in the tank?  I've never been able to figure out how to siphon gas out of a newer model Ranger boat and inevitably there's always gonna be some left to sit throughout the winter months.

I've always added Sta-Bil but after reading your "no additives ever" comment that apparently isn't the answer either.

Thanks.

To be honest, if your outboard is one that's subject to sit unused for periods of 4 months or more.....then you REALLY have no business owning a motor equipped with a Vapor separator, Fuel rail, Injectors, Tracker valve, or High pressure fuel pump, Oxygen sensors, and a computer programmed to operate it for the lowest possible emissions.  

When you bought that thing your MOST IMPORTANT REASON for paying all that extra money.....was to not pollute the environment, right ?  🤔

On 9/17/2024 at 1:36 PM, fishinwrench said:

To be honest, if your outboard is one that's subject to sit unused for periods of 4 months or more.....then you REALLY have no business owning a motor equipped with a Vapor separator, Fuel rail, Injectors, Tracker valve, or High pressure fuel pump, Oxygen sensors, and a computer programmed to operate it for the lowest possible emissions.  

When you bought that thing your MOST IMPORTANT REASON for paying all that extra money.....was to not pollute the environment, right ?  🤔

Oh yeah - that's at the very top of my list of priorities.  Not.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

2 hours ago, vernon said:

Oh yeah - that's at the very top of my list of priorities.  Not.

Not anyone else I know either.  This is why I like the older motors....after being completely refreshed of course. 

9 times out of 10 using the diagnostic program on the newer computer controlled outboards does NOT solve the problem, and any service done outside that realm is unsupported (not advised & can even void warranty). 

Today's techs are trained to run computer diagnostics....and if nothing indicates a failure then the protocol is to change spark plugs & fuel filters and consider it "cured".   Which would be GREAT if that actually worked.....but it seldom does. 🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2024 at 8:02 AM, pstone said:

Thanks, Champ for the input.   I'm actually Perry Stone, not Phillip.    I wish I could fish like Phil!     I decided to run 0 ethanol in this engine after talking with lots of folks including a tech at Mercury.     I can get it at a couple of places in Nixa which is handy for me.    

Would you mind sharing the locations in NIXA that sell non-Ethanol Pure Gas ?  Thanks.  I'm through there constantly and have never seen it posted on the Rapid Roberts or Casey's pumps.  And yessir, I fully agree with always using non-Ethanol fuel in any Marine Engine. 

Can you guys that favor ethanol free gas tell me why? I'd like to have leaded gas back, just because it stores well, but I don't have any better results with any unleaded gas over any other. At least not since the two cycle oils were improved.

Do you retune those engines to match the ethanol free fuel?

Oh and as to signage I don't think any of the stores that I've bought  non-ethanol gas have any signs except on the pumps. And when I bought non-ethanol,  it didn't seem to store any better than the E10. 

1 hour ago, tjm said:

Can you guys that favor ethanol free gas tell me why?

Because their brains have been programmed to. 

1 hour ago, tjm said:

Do you retune those engines to match the ethanol free fuel?

Computer controlled engines equipped with MAP sensors, Oxygen sensors, and Idle air temp senders......Re-tune themselves, as soon as you turn the key on....and continue to "Re-tune" as the run-time increases.  

Tuned for the lowest possible emissions, power demand bedamned.

1 hour ago, tjm said:

Oh and as to signage I don't think any of the stores that I've bought  non-ethanol gas have any signs except on the pumps. And when I bought non-ethanol,  it didn't seem to store any better than the E10

Every customer I've had that claims to ONLY purchase non-ethanol fuel for their boat......Upon Testing......has had 8-10% alcohol in their fuel tank 🙄     Except for one, and that particular stuff wouldn't even kill pokeweed or grass.

2 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

8-10% alcohol

But was it ethanol? Butanol, isopropanol and methanol are also alcohols and my test for alcohol in gas is not ethanol specific.

On 9/14/2024 at 8:02 AM, pstone said:

Thanks, Champ for the input.   I'm actually Perry Stone, not Phillip.    I wish I could fish like Phil!     I decided to run 0 ethanol in this engine after talking with lots of folks including a tech at Mercury.     I can get it at a couple of places in Nixa which is handy for me.    

No-ethanol regular (87), right? 

ClassActionTransparent.png

On 9/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, fishinwrench said:

Because their brains have been programmed to. 
Exactly right. You've always healthy dose of horse sense. I like to believe that I do, too. Our filters are just dirty. :)

Tuned for the lowest possible emissions, power demand bedamned.

We can thank the California Dems for that. Remember that in a few weeks, people. Please. 

ClassActionTransparent.png