Whites

Riverwhy

Not to change the topic on this last page but this fall I took home whites and crappie, when I cleaned the whites this year I left all the red meat on the skin using a electric fillet knife, cut the red section out and separated the fillet in two pieces, one is a nice piece of white meat, soaked em in salt water overnight, I believe they were better than the crappie, they were delicious. Ok, carry on with Ellen and Kim!! Lol

I want to concur with the comment about soaking in salt water.   I believe a two or even three day salt water soak combined with daily water changing can significantly reduce any remaining strong fishy flavor in white bass.

Whites shouldn't need soaking or be fishy at all if you get the red meat off. I prefer the consistency of the flesh of a white bass over a crappie when fried. Also, if you freeze the fillets with the red still on, that fishy taste will permeate the rest of the fillet.

Just now, fishinwrench said:

How come you never hear trout park guys complain about that nasty brown layer of liver tasting mush on those hatchery rainbows?

I've always noticed that when cleaning them, but never really could taste it. That's on the typical 11-13" fish. It may be more noticeable on bigger fish. Then again, trout are one of the few fish that I prefer baked or grilled over fried. Maybe that does something to it. My favorite are the ones that I catch at Taney that have been in the lake a while and are starting to get that orange hue to the flesh. It reminds me more of a salmon. Most people that I know seem to prefer eating the white fleshed stockers because they don't have as much "flavor". 

• Members
On 12/20/2017 at 8:21 PM, fishinwrench said:

It's sexy, I'll give it that.   Those pink sparkly niblets look like a jar full of stripper nipples. Gets me hornier than a pet coon.  

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are, That's funny!

It takes a lot to make me actually laugh out loud from reading a post and that did it.

51 minutes ago, Seth said:

My favorite are the ones that I catch at Taney that have been in the lake a while and are starting to get that orange hue to the flesh. It reminds me more of a salmon.

Those would be the ones that I prefer as well. Used to get a number trout each year with that colored flesh, but stopped keeping brown trout. The stocker rainbows that I keep now are that mortuary white.

53 minutes ago, Seth said:

Most people that I know seem to prefer eating the white fleshed stockers because they don't have as much "flavor"

As BilletHead stated early on, its ok to eat fish that taste like fish!