24 hours of gates!!!

• Root Admin

We fished last evening.  Fish didn't act like they'd seen many shad.  Water temp was 46, 3 degrees warmer than normal turbine flow which should help the bite.  We didn't see any shad in the water, no gulls.

But we did catch fish... mainly down from the cable.  Best was below Rocking Chair where we caught 6-7 smallies.  DD had 3 in a row at one time.  One I caught down at Trophy Run off the rock bank had a sculpin hanging out of its mouth.

Some of the rainbows had pouched out bellies but that could be from just getting good food, no shad.  Just not sure.  But they weren't excited to bite up by the cable where you'd think they'd be the hottest on white if they're seeing shad.

We'll see what today brings.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Good deal Phil!  Getting closer to getting down there.  Seth and I were joking about who knows what water conditions we'll be fishing in lol.  

Last year it was gates open, super heavy generation.  We caught fish but it was tough.  Glad to see this is more a gentle release if you can call 10k cfs that...

• Root Admin

OK... Duane and i boated to the dam earlier and boy did we see a TON of threadfin shad!!!  All over the place.  Live and dead ones.  Stunned ones.  Big balls of live shad drifting down with the current.  That!... I've never seen.

We caught a few on white jig.  Then we boated down to Lookout Island - fished down a ways.  Still lots of shad in the water.  We ended up seeing shad in the water clear down at Trout Hollow.

I'm guessing the south wind blew shad up against the dam today.

Excited about the days ahead.

Dang,  sounds like some good fishing for a few days.  To bad they only had the gates open for 1 day

• Root Admin
9 hours ago, vonreed said:

Dang,  sounds like some good fishing for a few days.  To bad they only had the gates open for 1 day

2 days so far