OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Flippin

Wet Reel Problems

I have a Plueger spinning reel and when I am fishing in the rain it sticks (handle hard to turn at a point in the rotation)  when trying to reel slow.  Any else have that problem and/or know how to fix it?

Someone has likely used something (like hot sauce) other than silicone lube on the bushings and bearings.

Disassemble the reel completely, clean everything completely with brake cleaner, dry it out completely, then reassemble with silicone grease and silicone reel oil ONLY.  

It is brand new reel.  The old one I took into BP to be repaired and they just replaced it with a new reel.  BP reel repair said they have never heard of this problem and have no idea how to fix it.

Is Ardent Butter Oil and Grease a silicone lubricant?

Nothing helps but to take it in and get it cleaned.  REELS ARE NOT WATER PROOF!  A selling point for some of the upper end companies like Daiwa and Shimano is their top of the line reels are water proof.  

Diawa also has a mid-level reel that is now water proof, the Ballistic

Spoke to the guys at the rod and reels repair at BP and they told me that if the reel box does not say water proof, don't get it wet.  Water resistant is not water proof.  The initial factory lube on the old Shimano reels could not take even 1 drop of water, it made them bind.  They had to be totally cleaned and relubed with as Wrench said only Silicone.

Same applies today.  Shimano uses Aerowave body shield and they are almost perfect.  The Stella is perfect and without equal.   The Diawa is perfect if it says water proof.

If I even think its going to rain I put all my reels in the rod locker, except for the ones we have in our hands.

Of course I'm just a little anal about fishing equipment.

Even the BPS repair guys gave up on my old Shimano Stradic.  The only time I have had binding issues other than worn plumb out was if the whole reel took a prolonged dunk in the creek.  Otherwise haven't had any issues with them.

Flippin, I am glad you brought up this topic. I have a 100% failure rate with every spinning reel that I have ever bought regardless of brand. They all develop the exact symptom you describe. It is like I set the hook and it torques the round cylinder and warps it just enough to drag/catch as you reel.

14 hours ago, Dock-in-it said:

Flippin, I am glad you brought up this topic. I have a 100% failure rate with every spinning reel that I have ever bought regardless of brand. They all develop the exact symptom you describe. It is like I set the hook and it torques the round cylinder and warps it just enough to drag/catch as you reel.

My spinning reels will start working properly once they dry out.  After fishing a few hours in the rain is when they develop the problem.

Kind of off but yet on the subject but wondered how big a deal it is to get the anti-reverse repaired on a Stradic?  Just noticed yesterday that I have one that's failed.

Sorry for the interruption.

33 minutes ago, vernon said:

Kind of off but yet on the subject but wondered how big a deal it is to get the anti-reverse repaired on a Stradic?  Just noticed yesterday that I have one that's failed.

Sorry for the interruption.

A common problem when anti-reverse fails is the spring comes off and just has to be re-attached.  The spring is so small and can be somewhat difficult if you don't have very good eyes and small tools.  If you have BP reattach the spring it cost around $5.00.