First outing of the summer!

FishermanTodd

Been home from school for a week and finally got some time in on the river this morning. Water is moving quick and a little murky. Moving quick enough that going upstream requires serious effort. I’m a young kid in good shape and a strong swimmer. I was alone this morning and got off early because I didn’t feel safe with how the river was moving and being alone. Gravel bars are under water. Spinnerbaits and squarebills/wiggle warts bouncing off of logs/boulders was the ticket today. I’m usually a jig guy but that was not going to be possible today. Also, most of you know I’m terrified of snakes and saw 10 to many. Had one think we were buddies and swim up to me. That woke me up. Be safe on the river this weekend! Good luck!

5 hours ago, oneshot said:

I was told it is good being up a little but what do I know.

oneshot

The Niangua has always fished better for me when a little high, rather than a little low.  

Same with every other mid-sized river I fish.   Smaller creeks seem to fish better when low and clear.  

7 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

The Niangua has always fished better for me when a little high, rather than a little low.  

Same with every other mid-sized river I fish.   Smaller creeks seem to fish better when low and clear.  

I have found any water rising Fish bite, falling they get Lockjaw. Had some Guy setting out Lines on Lamine River one time after I did well on a Rise. I told them they wouldn't get a bite because the river was falling. Seen the Guy couple weeks later and he said I was right they had wasted their time.

But if Fly Fishing or Lure Fishing if water is up it gives more movement. Me I'm more throw it out, put Rod in Holder, set back take a nap. So it is better if the water is not up.

oneshot

I’m no expert on the Niangua but it has usually fished better when it’s up a bit. Friends fished Barclay to Leadmine overnight Thursday—Friday, other friends fished Bennett to Barclay Friday. All did well for quality but not so well for numbers. Fish were on wood in heavy current. Same pattern as Todd’s, but I like a Mann’s 1 minus, or Baby 1 minus better than a square bill in the spring. Nothing on the plopper, popper, or walker. You miss more spots than you get to cast too. When you made 3-4 good ones it usually produced.

Had the jet out on lake N this afternoon once the wind died down a little bit. It’s on its way down but was pretty muddy. Caught em on a spinnerbait again and also some swimbaits. I am still reluctant to give up on that area, I know there are big fish in it. I just struggle to find them there unless it’s winter. 

52 minutes ago, FishermanTodd said:

Had the jet out on lake N this afternoon once the wind died down a little bit. It’s on its way down but was pretty muddy. Caught em on a spinnerbait again and also some swimbaits. I am still reluctant to give up on that area, I know there are big fish in it. I just struggle to find them there unless it’s winter. 

Something about that pond just doesn't feel right. Can't put my finger on it.