Big M area, August 6

Quillback

Up with the chickens again this morning, launched the boat at about 6 AM.  My plan was to do a little c-rigging and then try the drop shot for a bit.  Didn't think I'd be out for long, due to a combination of heat, non-biting fish and recreational traffic.

The c-rigging didn't pan out too well.  I picked up 3 random smallmouth on a couple of different locations, main channel points and rocks, fish were in the 10-20 range.

Found some spotted bass in 30 FOW off a gravel point, caught 10 of them on a drop shot fished near the bottom using a Roboworm.  That was the only place I found them.  Took a couple of screen shots of them.

That was the sum of my catching, caught them early, didn't get one after about 9 AM and put the boat on the trailer at 1030.

large.Aug6screen2.jpg

large.Aug6screen1.jpg

large.Aug6smalls.jpg

large.Aug6spot.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Nice! I made up my mind to learn drop shotting this year. What’s your set up look like? Rod, reel, line, weight, etc.?

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

I use a 6'10" spinning rod, moderate action.  6lb. InvisX, 1/4 oz weight.  Pretty much vertical fishing, I'll flip it out there 30 feet or so, let it drop to the bottom, work it with some subtle shakes and hops.  When you get over them like in those screen shots, they'll usually bite.  Sometimes you've got to leave it down there for a bit, they may not hit right away.

2 hours ago, Quillback said:

Up with the chickens again this morning, launched the boat at about 6 AM.  My plan was to do a little c-rigging and then try the drop shot for a bit.  Didn't think I'd be out for long, due to a combination of heat, non-biting fish and recreational traffic.

The c-rigging didn't pan out too well.  I picked up 3 random smallmouth on a couple of different locations, main channel points and rocks, fish were in the 10-20 range.

Found some spotted bass in 30 FOW off a gravel point, caught 10 of them on a drop shot fished near the bottom using a Roboworm.  That was the only place I found them.  Took a couple of screen shots of them.

That was the sum of my catching, caught them early, didn't get one after about 9 AM and put the boat on the trailer at 1030.

large.Aug6screen2.jpg

large.Aug6screen1.jpg

large.Aug6smalls.jpg

large.Aug6spot.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Nice, I have learned a lot !

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

Good catching.  Hunt as I may I just don’t see stuff like that on my units.  I guess I still don’t know where to look.

I have only found the drop shot fish in one location this summer.   

Quill, nice pictures. Congratulations on braving the heat and humidity. 

Mike