Baitcasting reel suggestions under 120$

fowlthing

I'm no expert on this (or anything else for that matter other than how to conjure up bad weather) but I swapped out all my baitcasters four years ago for the Lew's Tournament Pro's in a variety of retrieve ratios and have been most pleased.

I'm not sure what they go for now days but they're no longer Lew's "top of the line" type stuff so they might be pretty reasonable.

I used to buy three or four new reels every couple of years but now that I'm retired and broke and since the measly allowance that Kathy provides me doesn't allow for many expensive new toys these are gonna have to do me for the foreseeable future and I'm fine with that.

Although I'd sure rather be buying a new reel than spending money on that danged cranking battery......😢

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

Don't think you will find a tournament pro for under $120.  Great reel for $200 and you will not need to replace it.  I've got a couple of dozen of them and have never had a problem and they just keep getting better and better.

I am also just a huge fan of the Heavy Duty, I simply love those reels.

Vandam moved to Lew's last year and I think he made the comment he never knew reels could be that quiet, throw that far and be that worry free, if they weren't Daiwa or Shimano.  He had a great deal with Quantum but he is at a point where he can do what he wants to some extent.

I also will say I fish Daiwa Steez but that is not even close to comparing apples to apples against any bait caster.

The only knock I can come up with on Lews, is that they have so many models and keep coming out with new ones, that it's hard to keep up. I'm not sure what model has these features in the current line, but what I recommend is a Lews reel with a metal frame and their multi cast control (meaning both magnetic and centrifugal brakes). The cost goes up as the reels get more bearings, and get lighter. Personally, I'm not that worried about extra bearings, they come in places that don't really effect the casting ability, and I like the brass gears vs aluminum, even though brass is heavier. Not to say that the reels with graphite frames are bad, I've got a couple of them and have had no issues, but I just prefer the perceived stiffness of a metal frame. Every time I've been there, they have had $200 class reels much much cheaper, either on blowout, or the in the refurbished in bins up front. 

21 hours ago, mixermarkb said:

The only knock I can come up with on Lews, is that they have so many models and keep coming out with new ones, that it's hard to keep up. I'm not sure what model has these features in the current line, but what I recommend is a Lews reel with a metal frame and their multi cast control (meaning both magnetic and centrifugal brakes). The cost goes up as the reels get more bearings, and get lighter. Personally, I'm not that worried about extra bearings, they come in places that don't really effect the casting ability, and I like the brass gears vs aluminum, even though brass is heavier. Not to say that the reels with graphite frames are bad, I've got a couple of them and have had no issues, but I just prefer the perceived stiffness of a metal frame. Every time I've been there, they have had $200 class reels much much cheaper, either on blowout, or the in the refurbished in bins up front. 

I think that the new one with the metal frame is the Tournament MP.  They retail for $150ish, but can be found online for $120 or so.  I have a few of the Tournament MB which is the previous model.  Got them on the TW Black Friday deal for $79.  They sold out in about 2 days because it was such a good deal it was stupid.

I've had good luck buying barely used Tourney Pros on the internet. I usually get them for around $100. I'll drop them off at the Lews Factory Outlet in Springfield every few years to have them thoroughly cleaned and they keep chugging along. With that said, I bought a Tatula TWS SV last year and I think I may be a Daiwa guy from now on. That just feels like a more solid reel to me and it's almost impossible to backlash. My Lews still get plenty of use though and throw great.

I think for 6 and 7 gear ratio the new Tatula is hard to beat. You can find them on sale for that price. I have two 8.1s and don’t feel like they have enough torque at times. I have two previous generation Tatula type-r reels in 8.1 and those will flat do work!