Featured
mixermarkb
mixermarkb

3/23 report, subtitled I have very poor judgment, and don't realize that 44 is different than 25...

Hi Guys-

Back home in STL from a whirlwind down and back trip to Bull, feeling old and beat down.

Hit the water at 9:45, off at 5:30. I didn't get the 6+ pound LMB I was hunting, but I had something like 8 keepers, best 5 for 13-14 pounds. Had 2 smallies in the 19" range (bump board ends at 18") and a long and skinny 3.5 pound largemouth that I'm guessing was a big male. Smallies and the 3 pound LMB were all still on bluff end or steep banks, found spotted bass on flats in the back of pockets, could probably have had a lot of fun with Mr. Ned or a grub, but I was big game hunting.

I had a game plan today of chasing the wind in the clearer water from around Oakland to the Music/Coon area, and was looking for big fish, not numbers. I rigged up one Falcon super duty with an Arig, and a second with a RIver to Sea S jointed swimbait, and kept my old faithful wart and jerkbait out as well. I really didn't get quite as much wind as I was hoping for until late afternoon. Water temps are still low 50's in the clear stuff, and there are STILL dead and dying shad around, not as bad as last week, but still there. I gave up in the clear stuff around 3, and fished transitions in the Theodosia arm with the cranks and caught a few shorts and a couple keeper spots. 

I was really trying to commit to the big bait, big fish theory, and wow, do I ever feel it after casting those seven and a half foot, extra heavy action rods all day! I guess it was a half success, as every fish that hit the Arig was a keeper, but no love on the swimmer. One of these days that bait is going to catch hawgs, but I just haven't gotten it in front of the right fish yet I don't think. 

Anyway...

My back! Oh my back!!!!! 

I'm very out of shape with my fishing muscles- I caught the fats over the winter!

P.S. lots of boats out today, good luck to all the derby guys tomorrow, I think there must be more than one...

I'm off of here to take some Motrin and a hot shower...lol

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

My days of making what I would call "Banzai road trips" are over, if it's more than 2 hours away, I am going to find a place to stay over night.  But I have made, in the past, trips where I would drive 4 hours, fish all day, then drive 4 hours back home.  The drive back home was always the worst part.  

But looks like you had a great day of fishing, congrats!

3 minutes ago, Quillback said:

My days of making what I would call "Banzai road trips" are over, if it's more than 2 hours away, I am going to find a place to stay over night.  But I have made, in the past, trips where I would drive 4 hours, fish all day, then drive 4 hours back home.  The drive back home was always the worst part.  

Quill you know that I still do the 8 to 9 hour round trips. I now make sure to plan those trips so that I have a day of rest afterwards :)

3 hours ago, Ham said:

And 55 is a lot different than 44. 

Ugh. Please don't tell me that. It's band enough now! These trips never hurt quite as much ten years ago!!!

In all seriousness, I really am trying to change some diet, move around a little more, and get in a little better shape. My little guy is 3, and I want to make sure and be around many years for him. Carrying about 40 extra pounds around isn't going to help that. I'm not looking to be a full on health food nazi, but there are some easy changes that my wife has dragged me into making with her that will help her auto-immune disease and help my general health as well.

4 hours ago, Quillback said:

That's exactly what I did. Being an audio engineer, I've driven half my life on tours and to one off shows, usually in a 26' box truck, so driving 4 hours is no big deal. Driving 4 hours after a full day of fishing and getting up at 4am was WAY HARDER. On the plus side, the muscle pain kept me wide awake for the trip though, lol 

I'm a slow learner though, I'm sure I will do it again in a week or two. Gotta fish while the fishing is good and before summer concert season kicks in...