deleted

These are all from the last year on Beaver.

Keep in mind when looking at the pics the spinning rod is a shimano PS76MLF and to the front grip is 15''

429956_347149741982286_209356322_n.jpg

578163_395654163798510_1715409181_n.jpg

63093_488151471215445_442668466_n.jpg

422577_604194162944508_1917767533_n.jpg

The casting rod is a St Croix PM80MHF THE HANDLE TO FRONT IS 24''

423388_370578212972772_1756196455_n.jpg

Beaver has some very nice quality Smallies and I might need to start getting more serious about targeting them

Okay, I'm gonna go joeD on everyone here.

1. lake fish don't count

2. fish caught from a jet boat don't count

3. fish caught with the help of a guide don't count

4. fish outside of Missouri don't count, especially Canadian lake caught fish with the help of a guide from some kinda powerboat, which would be a violation of all 3 above.

5. grainy photos of fish from the 70's that were measured with suspect rulers, measuring tapes, scales or while under the influence of pot, peyote, mescaline, or shrooms . . .those don't count either, and especially if caught and photographed while wearing cut-off jeans shorts.

discuss amongst yourselves.

Wow I actually used to think this was a big smallie....

285023_915768266097_7403849_n.jpg

It is, especially if it fits the criteria listed by Cold Water.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

In 1977 my brother and I put in a canoe at a low water bridge on a small ozark stream and began a week long float to the where the river joins another stream and forms a large large. I was wading the second hole down from the bridge and was standing in water a little over waist deep. I was fishing with a mitchell 408 on a light weight 5.5 foot rod. I had 4 pound monofilament on the reel and I was casting a small tube jig that was red with a white tail. I was casting towards the bluff in a very deep hole with large boulders. I was allowing the jig to fall to the bottom and then I would gently lift the rod tip and allow the current to move the jig along the bottom. I set the hook on a large fish and had the greatest fight of my life. (This is true even 35 years later). After a very long fight I was able to land the smallmouth. My only measuring device was 22 inches long and the smallmouth was a bit longer laying flat.

We continued our week long float the next day and caught simply unreal numbers of fish. In the entire week we saw one small boy alone on the the river setting up in a tree trying to hide from view and two hound dogs a couple of days later that licked our skillets clean one evening. We saw no other signs of civilization until we hit the lake.

I have caught thousands of fish since that trip including numerous northern pike over 40 inches long. Nothing compares to that smallmouth. I believe they are the greatest sportfish in our state.

It is, especially if it fits the criteria listed by Cold Water.

Thats what I'm talking about. NICE fish for sure. And he's on foot either wade-fishing or got there by canoe or kayak. And the gravel looks very creekish. I respect this fish more than I do a hawg that is 4 or 5 inches longer that was dredged up from a well-know smallmouth sona-graphed spot at TR . . . or put on by a guide who has a name for each of his pet fish from a winter hole that he returns to visit time and time again, arriving by jet-boat without any sweat-equity or trial and failure on the part of the "client".

20" out of a small stream in SW MO. Caught under a bridge and it was black as could be! At first I wasn't sure it was a smallie due to it's color. Caught a few at 19" and plenty between 15-18", but I have never beat my best and that was caught like 15 years or so ago.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

I agree.

Seems to me that the bulk of the large smallmouth were caught many years ago. That alone shows what fishing pressure can do to the populations if regulations do not protect large fish. Doubt that there are a lot of 22 inch smallies left swimming in Missouri rivers.

Lake or river, I don't care. Post up your big smallie pictures.

I couldn't agree more Andy, and was hoping someone would point that out.

Ollie here is a Smallie that was as Black as Ray Lewis it was a hair over 19 caught out of a very small creek in Missouri that I'm not sure even holds smallies anymore....anyway I love them when they are Blacksmallie9.jpg