The BilletHead version of the Shuttlecock, a step by step.

BilletHead

Asked for permission to do this from the fly originator. I tweaked the pattern to suit me. A bit more streamlined and with a rattle. Some like this one are air brushed for color too. Adding the rattle was suggested by a friend so here we go,

Materials for this build.     Gamakatsu B10S stinger size 2/0 ,     Uni thread 6/0  ,   Flexicord or dura flash tubing  ,   Rattle   ,      Flashabou or crystal flash  ,   Bucktail   ,  Saddle hackle,   Palmer chenille ,  Dubbing or pre made dubbing brush  EP fibers are a good choice but I use a knock off from Bass Pro ,   Lite brite to add to dubbing if you make your own brush,    Frabric paint, here I am using Tulip glitter  and finally some eyes.

1.JPG

Chuck up your hook and lay out a base of thread. Attach rattle at curve in line with hook shank..   I use a big rattle. Pretty easy to do. Take a section of flexicord and insert rattle. the rattle I use has a divot behind the pointy tapered end. Wrap thread over flexicord into the divot and whip finish. Then cut off a section of cord leaving a tail for tying in. I do this off the hook by hand and do several rattles at a time.  

2.JPG

Tie in flashabou or Krystal flash on top, leave it full length to be trimmed later.

3.JPG

Tie in a clump of bucktail rolling it all around the tie in point.

4.JPG

5.JPG

Repeat the bucktail around shank.

6.JPG

Repeat with another matched pair of saddle hackles.

More coming,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

More,

7.JPG

On top of the second section tie in some Palmer chenille and do a few wraps. Whip finish and move thread forward in front of the build up.

8.JPG

Now we are going to take another bunch of bucktail and reverse tie. Again tease the bundle all around the hook shank.

9.JPG

After reversing the bundle tie in like above and again whip finish and move thread forward.

10.JPG

Now with  your thread make a nice taper from where you reversed tied in the bucktal to the front of the hook near the eye. Next we will be doing a dubbing loop to make a brush or if you prefer an already made brush. Trust me you want this nice taper of thread to make the brush wrap forward easy. This fly as you are tying can get quite bulky and trying to stair step isn't going to work,

More coming,

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

More,

11.JPG

if making your own dubbing mix do so, make a nice loop and fill it and spin it up if not tie on your pre made brush, Begin to wrap forward sweeping fibers back keeping them under control. Forward towards the eye. Catch off and whip finish.

12.JPG

Brush head and form it to your liking. I use a tongue depressor with Velcro on it.  Your creation is looking good and can be finished up right now but we are going to paint this one.

13.JPG

I use a copic pen system. I am sure you could just use the felt pens to do this. I am finding less paint is more. When you put your fabric paint on the  head it will darken the marker paint even more. Depending on how dark you want your two tone back belly more or less felt pen.

14.JPG

Now start placing on fabric paint. The glitter is translucent when dry.

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

Use the side of a toothpick to roll and sweep the fabric paint back creating a nice tapered cone.  No downward pressure here only backwards following the brushed dubbing head. If you mush and smash your head there is no going back. You are only coating the outside of the head. The paint is thick and will not soak in unless pressed in. Take your time here. You have come too far to mess up now. Set aside to dry completely.

The rest is coming.

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Lets finish this up,

19.JPG

The dried head.

20.JPG

Get you some nice big eyes and stick them on. I use more UV epoxy here. I run some out on the edge of the eye and take a toothpick and make a bead of it all the way around the edge of the eye and onto the head and zap it. Never had one come off and I am hard on these things. Fish smash them and I sling them on rocks and trees, whatever it takes to get the fly into the right place. You are ready to catch a fish now. They can be fished on a floating line. Twitch and pause they will wake on the surface walking side to side and when soaked just under the surface. I prefer a sink tip line to get them under quick. Strikes can be violent. In clear water I have seen hybrids streak six to eight feet to eat one of these flies. Use your imagination when using bucktail and paint. I would say my best color this past summer was just white with a plain red head,

21.JPG

The BilletHead likes Shuttlecocks :) ,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

One more thing,

The heads can be mashed when stored improperly. These fly's can catch many fish and last along time if you take care of them. If mashed the heads can take on a memory and not swim, walk and twitch if out of round. Just trying to shorten you all's learning curve to using them,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

31 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Good stuff.  I love it.   

Not sure how I feel about the rattle (noise-wise) but I'm wondering if the weight of it back there at the bend is an important feature.

I have had nothing but better luck with the noise. Of course my river system can be a bit more off colored than most but even at it's clearest with over three feet of visibility no problems. So weight at the back I think improves the ride. Some nose up action provides better side to side movement. Big head pushing water is a plus. I know you like that feature,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Yeah I can see where that little bit of weight back there could close the deal.

Those collar rattles are the only thing on the list that I don't have, and probably can't get around here without buying jigs to rob them off of.    I'll have to put some on the list for my next material buying spree.   

18 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Yeah I can see where that little bit of weight back there could close the deal.

Those collar rattles are the only thing on the list that I don't have, and probably can't get around here without buying jigs to rob them off of.    I'll have to put some on the list for my next material buying spree.   

I started off with glass and plastic worm type rattles in all made sizes. They work but don't have the loud rattle. To use them insert into the same braid and then plug the end with epoxy or UV resin epoxy. One warning bouncing off of rocks will cause that idea to break. They still work though. 

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead