Is this fly tying material or not?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dove season will be here before you know it! That and tinkering with my blinds, decoys, etc. is what gets me through to duck season without going crazy. I love fishing but waterfowl is my true passion

Looks like the trash can provided by my local waste disposal service meets the criteria for proper disposal. I probably could have easily kept some feathers and no-one would have been the wiser, but I

Just tell the authorities that you are 3/4 Indian.   

Posted Images

1 minute ago, DADAKOTA said:

Not sure what that is, but I'm pretty sure you can't possess raptor parts.  Certain birds are off limits to possess.

What species is it?  Any feathers are useful, but beware the statement above. I can't tell what kind of bird it is from the photo, but raptors are frequently federally protected. You technically can't even possess a feather picked up from off the ground from an eagle or a hawk.  Migratory birds and upland game birds might be crossing the line if they're not taken by legal hunting.  A bag of feathers might be serious trouble. 

I'd call your game warden or DNR. 

• Members

So I feel a little sheepish....after hunting my entire life you would think I would know this, but it didn't even cross my mind. I was just going to call our conservation agent and give him a heads up about what happened. After speaking with him the bird and all connected feathers have been properly disposed of. It's a shame, he was a pretty bird. 

23 minutes ago, tangledup said:

I was just going to call our conservation agent and give him a heads up about what happened. After speaking with him the bird and all connected feathers have been properly disposed of

What was his proper disposal recommendation?  Pitch it in the weeds, or burn it on a stick while looking skyward with your arms crossed?

They say a lot of pretty bird species are no longer with us because they went to decorate ladies hats, back when they still had ladies and when ladies still wore hats. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recently_extinct_bird_species

Geneal rule is any bird that  migrates is protected under Federal law, even those we hunt. Exceptions being invasives like starlings, English sparrow (native sparrows are protected), Eurasian doves etc.   We can have feathers from species that are legally hunted or pen raised but it's safe to say almost any "found" feather is illegal to have. Enforcement folks can't tell by looking at a feather that you found it in your yard or got it by poaching, although they can tell what species a feather came from. https://www.fws.gov/birds/management/managed-species/migratory-bird-treaty-act-protected-species.php

Now I have read many times that "no game warden has ever checked my flies to see what feathers I used" and that is probably true, but I did hear of a guy arrested for having a wild bird feather in his hat band. I've never personally had anyone check my fly tying bin either, but I reckon there is always a first time, or could be.