Pretty cutthroat this afternoon 12/22

netboy

I went to Ackerman access on the Norfork this afternoon and had a good day. Caught some nice rainbows along with a 16" Bonneville cutthroat and then this nice Snake river cutthroat. Glad to see some of the Bonnevilles are still in the river.

The Y2k with a ruby midge dropper worked great and then around 2pm a hatch of small mayflies started so I switched to a size 18 tan elk hair caddis and caught a few on top.

DSCF8544 (2).JPG

DSCF8548 (2).JPG

52 minutes ago, laker67 said:

Ackerman access? Love those cutthroat, great fish.

Yes they named it after Bill Ackerman (former head of the AGFC ) that helped establish the C&R area.

It is also known as the Handicap access.

Interesting story about that. When we were shopping for a house to buy up here 3 years ago we looked at a house about about 1/2 mile above the Ackerman (handicapped) access on River Road. We said we wanted to look at the house by the Ackerman access. Our real estate agent said well that is Bill Ackerman's house. It was a great house but sold before we were able to make an offer.

There used to be a little overlook area on the hwy 5 . You could look down and see that area. I think it was called goats bluff over look or something like that. That's where we came up with the name. Also Charlie Cook's Island we referred to as RIP island. 

The wife and I thought about coming down there this week. If we had not gone to taney on Monday we would have. I miss fishing that area. It has been three years. I would like for Sandy to get a chance to experience it. Maybe next good weather week before they start running a bunch of water again. 

23 minutes ago, ColdWaterFshr said:

There are some really good holes and habitat just down from Ackerman.  Love that stretch better than some of the more popular water on the Norfork.

I like that water, but it is difficult to wade now with minimum flow. We use to cross over at the c and r line and hope like heck that they didn't run water before we got back.