Jump to content

Crappie


Ozark Ranger

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Seeing bass reports are dismal at best, anyone doing anything well with crappie?

-'84 Ranger 395V w/ 225 Mariner EFI

"A Bad Day Fishing, Is Away Better Then A Good Day Of Work"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, willyfish said:

Thats the species that worries me. Livescope is going to wreck it which would be a shame because LOZ is a good crappie lake.

I am so tired of hearing statements like this. It's not Livescope that is wrecking any body of water, it's the fishermen who take more than they need. Livescope is a tool. It falls on the users to ensure a lake is not "wrecked." 

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Livescope isn't going to hurt the crappie population, but it is going to make crappie tournaments pretty pointless.   

Nobody needs 13-15" crappie for a fish fry.   Besides, the big ol' barn door size crappie don't fight any harder, or have any more meat on them than the 11 inchers do......they just weigh more because they have bigger heads and tails.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can pinpoint those fish just as well on SI, then it’s just a matter up being able to shoot a jig to them.  I never did like video games and don’t see that tech in my boat at this point....but I may change my mind later if I have more money than I know what to do with.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, nomolites said:

You can pinpoint those fish just as well on SI, then it’s just a matter up being able to shoot a jig to them.  I never did like video games and don’t see that tech in my boat at this point....but I may change my mind later if I have more money than I know what to do with.

Mike

The guys that are fast becoming Livescope experts are able to locate the smaller schools of giant crappie.  Not by the size of the "blips" but by the number of fish around an object and how they are positioned relative to each other.   

One dude, a guide from Truman, uses long poles so he can get the fish to follow the jig sideways across the beam.  By doing it that way he can tell if it's a biggun.    When the fish are facing the boat a 9 incher looks just like a 14 inchers does on the display.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

The guys that are fast becoming Livescope experts are able to locate the smaller schools of giant crappie.  Not by the size of the "blips" but by the number of fish around an object and how they are positioned relative to each other.   

One dude, a guide from Truman, uses long poles so he can get the fish to follow the jig sideways across the beam.  By doing it that way he can tell if it's a biggun.    When the fish are facing the boat a 9 incher looks just like a 14 inchers does on the display.

I’m not that particular...11 and over and it’s in the box.  It is cool, but like I said I am not much of a gamer - I spend too much time surrounded by monitors for my day job.  I believe all those who relate it’s “game changer” capabilities, but I’m happy with the game I’ve been playing...for now 😉.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nomolites said:

I’m not that particular...11 and over and it’s in the box.  It is cool, but like I said I am not much of a gamer - I spend too much time surrounded by monitors for my day job.  I believe all those who relate it’s “game changer” capabilities, but I’m happy with the game I’ve been playing...for now 😉.

Mike

I feel likewise.   It would be kinda cool to have on my flyfishing flats rig.....to save my arm 2000 casts.   But I'm just not so sure that I want to leave my old-school hardass ways behind, and step into the "new era".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

I am so tired of hearing statements like this. It's not Livescope that is wrecking any body of water, it's the fishermen who take more than they need. Livescope is a tool. It falls on the users to ensure a lake is not "wrecked." 

What if you combine livescope with fisherman who take more than they need? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.