9ACF8D3A-DC89-466C-9A4E-A98502B0B6DA.jpeg

Bite this past weekend was totally insane on size 12 and 10 Grey Scuds, drifted from the dam thru Short Creek. 

I had 2 trips and the numbers of fish and the size really let’s you know for the most part when the gates are not open that we are not even touching these quality fish. 
5BF33D40-B95E-473B-B960-9EE180773FE0.jpeg

Been fishing here since the 1970’s and have never ever, not one single time had 2 fish on a tandem rig, not once. 

Sunday 4 times durning the morning trip,  we had doubles on the tandem scud rig. Didn’t get them in the net but none the less  in 50 years and thousands of fishing trips on Taney I had not had that happen a single time. 
347789D8-9282-4BBE-9271-9C16BFF61437.jpeg

Got  one in 3 of those times and the other time the top trout broke the line and we lost both. 

I’ve had great catch and release anglers all week

If you can see it to get away the next few days  and come down you will not be disappointed 

That is awesome Bill.  Would you mind sharing how you tie the tandem scud?  I"m still learning on that fly stuff.  Sometimes I tie the first scud like normal and then tie the second one off the back of the hook.  Sometimes I tie the first one with a really long tag end and then tie the second scud off that.  Not sure what the proper way is?  Thanks in advance.

travis  

I've done it both was Travis,  and I prefer the long tag method.  Or if it's a bigger size I'll tie off again on the eye of i can get the tippett through. 

I've always done long tags for nymph rigs as that's how I was shown the "proper way" by an older gentleman in CO.

4 hours ago, Travis Swift said:

That has been my preferred method of late (long tag) also DJ but I wasn't sure if it was the proper one :)

I'm def not sure of the proper way, Just what the older wiser guys shared with me lol.  I will say I use a palomar knot for just about everything and it's easy to leave a long tag.

Bill looks like your clients had a blast, and I too would love to hear how you setup the tandem if you don't mind sharing? 

Guys.  Thanks.  I use a really long tag, at least 3’. Top scud right now is a size 12 peppy or UV Grey. Bottom is usually a weighted same material, right now with all the flow I’m using a size 10.  I use the Peppy if it’s cloudy and the UV  in bright sky’s. 

I’m using 3 lb. Maxima mono and tying a palamar on the top fly, and here is without a doubt the major secret, after you tie the palamar , go back thru the hook a third time with the tag end and it will maintain your hook up and increase your catch at least 50%. 

Bottom fly is about a foot below the top fly. Weight is interchangeable with depth and current. 

Good Luck. 

9 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

Guys.  Thanks.  I use a really long tag, at least 3’. Top scud right now is a size 12 peppy or UV Grey. Bottom is usually a weighted same material, right now with all the flow I’m using a size 10.  I use the Peppy if it’s cloudy and the UV  in bright sky’s. 

I’m using 3 lb. Maxima mono and tying a palamar on the top fly, and here is without a doubt the major secret, after you tie the palamar , go back thru the hook a third time with the tag end and it will maintain your hook up and increase your catch at least 50%. 

Bottom fly is about a foot below the top fly. Weight is interchangeable with depth and current. 

Good Luck. 

Good stuff and that last tip is a good one, just like tying a drop shot hook......I hadn't thought about that!  Thanks for the info Mr. Babler! 

• Members
12 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

I use a really long tag, at least 3’.

First off, thanks for sharing this, Bill!

I am trying to visualize this.  So if you are holding your leader above the tag, and both scuds are dangling in front of you, is the fly attached to the tag lower than the fly attached to the main tippet?  In other words, is the tag longer than the "main line"?  

I always fish my second fly/nymph off a tag, but usually a 6" - 12" tag.  and the tag is usually about 18" above the "main line" fly.