Traveling

oneshot

Unless you have a burning desire to ski down a snow covered mountain, ride a snowmobile, learn to surf, fish alongside grizzly bears and elk, camp on a volcano, or go on a charter boat for halibut or sailfish.... what's the point of traveling?  

Just so you can smell the air and say you've been there?  Bore your friends with your pictures?  Nobody actually cares, and if they seem impressed by your travel storys they are just pretending.    

Might as well keep your @$$ at home and spend your money on things that can make you happy for more than a week.  

6 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Might as well keep your @$$ at home and spend your money on things that can make you happy for more than a week.  

There's a different school of thought on that.

Fill your life with experiences, not things.
Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.

1 minute ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

There's a different school of thought on that.

Fill your life with experiences, not things.
Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.

I agree with you.  I’ve been to every state but Maine.  We are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip that will coincide with the New England fall foliage.  

7 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I agree with you.  I’ve been to every state but Maine.  We are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip that will coincide with the New England fall foliage.  

I like traveling.  A month or so ago we drove to Charleston with a stop in the smokey's.  We really enjoyed driving instead of flying.  Not marathon driving like 14 hours at a time.  Stay under 8 hours per day and enjoy it.  We can't wait to retire and drive all over the country.  

25 minutes ago, Dutch said:

If you like lobster, there's lots of lobster shacks on the coast and in the fall you get the best deals on them once the summer tourist rush has ended.  

Get some real maple syrup too to bring home.  They charge an arm and a leg for it, but it sure is good.

Only state I have not been to is North Dakota, a few years ago I thought about going up there for some pheasant hunting as it is a bit off the beaten path and supposedly has some good hunting, but it was the height of the oil boom up there and it was just about impossible to find a place to stay.  

I travel all the time for work so you would think that I would rather not when I’m off. But I’d rather travel all the time. And driving is the best. So much to experience out there. 

I really don’t care if anyone is interested in where I go. I’m not doing it for their benefit. Don’t mistake me for an Instagram influencer. :D

10 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

I really don’t care if anyone is interested in where I go. I’m not doing it for their benefit. Don’t mistake me for an Instagram influencer. :D

We don't either.  No Facebook or anything else.  I post fishing reports on here though.  In case someone else is headed there I hope to help them out.  Our kids didn't even know we were gone...

6 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

We don't either.  No Facebook or anything else.  I post fishing reports on here though.  In case someone else is headed there I hope to help them out.  Our kids didn't even know we were gone...

Well I do take and post a lot of pics. But my first camera involved those little rotating flash bulbs so the world can kiss my butt. I like taking pictures. 

34 minutes ago, Quillback said:

If you like lobster, there's lots of lobster shacks on the coast and in the fall you get the best deals on them once the summer tourist rush has ended.  

Get some real maple syrup too to bring home.  They charge an arm and a leg for it, but it sure is good.

Only state I have not been to is North Dakota, a few years ago I thought about going up there for some pheasant hunting as it is a bit off the beaten path and supposedly has some good hunting, but it was the height of the oil boom up there and it was just about impossible to find a place to stay.  

You haven’t missed a lot by not seeing ND.  The last time I was there it was a drive through only.  We had a list of places and events ranging from Devil’s Tower to the giant red woods in California. 

You are correct on the syrup and lobster.  I got some of the syrup last time we were there.  I don’t eat lobster but my wife does.  We usually ordered steak and lobster tails.  She got 2 tails and I got 2 steaks, best of both worlds.