Recommendations for Filling a Box to Practice Tying

• Members

I have just recently been getting into fly fishing and fly tying.  I am wanting to practice more thread control, working with sparse materials, and tying smaller flies, so I am going to build out a box of midges and small nymphs.  Since I also want to fish with these (not just tie flies for the sake of tying flies - although I do that as well) I figure I should get some recommendations on which patterns, colors, and sizes I should tie.  I will probably do most of my trout fishing at Taneycomo and Roaring River.  Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

6 minutes ago, andrew141 said:

I have just recently been getting into fly fishing and fly tying.  I am wanting to practice more thread control, working with sparse materials, and tying smaller flies, so I am going to build out a box of midges and small nymphs.  Since I also want to fish with these (not just tie flies for the sake of tying flies - although I do that as well) I figure I should get some recommendations on which patterns and sizes I should tie.  I will probably do most of my trout fishing at Taneycomo and Roaring River.  Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Egg flies tied on jig heads, san juan worms, midges (I like size 18), wooly buggers (I like small ones), griffiths gnat.  

5 minutes ago, fshndoug said:

I have taught fly tying classes for over 30 years. Most students have trouble tying larger flies let alone small flies. Get on You Tube and learn some basic thread and material handling videos. Like any craft you need to practice. Don't let what someone else likes to fish influence you. Good luck.

Ouch!

• Members
24 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Egg flies tied on jig heads, san juan worms, midges (I like size 18), wooly buggers (I like small ones), griffiths gnat.  

Thanks for the recommendations.  As far as the midges, just Zebra midges? Or do you use other types as well?

I've yet to discover a fly style, or color of material, that will not catch fish.

The #1 Rule is.....There are no rules.  

After going nearly fishless all day, a guy once stepped into the stream above me and my buddy..... and started literally putting on a clinic fishing a #16 Adams dry fly as a nymph. 

34 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

SIO3 has a good list. I don't like the eggs on jig heads but that's just a personal preference. I like to hide my lead inside them. 

Would also recommend soft hackles. A blast to fish but not so easy to get tied correctly. 

Andrew141 , question have you ever fly fished before. Like Wrench said any fly will catch fish. I really like to sight fish but you need good eyesight, polaroid glasses and practice. Get on You Tube and watch video presentations of different types of flies. What city do you live in. I am sure their is some local sources of info like a fly shop.