2023 Flyfishing Fish Pics

• 2 weeks later...

First time getting my little watercraft out since 2020!  Towed it for 6.5 hours (round trip), fished for 1.5 hours.  Worth it!

S8FkU.jpg

Despite my best efforts to confound him 😁 ,  @Ham had worked hard and put me on my first Chain Pickerel early last year.  I was glad to catch my first one!  It was a small one, about the same size as some of the Grass Pickerel I'd caught.   Figured it might be time to try to catch a bigger specimen.

I did!  I caught maybe the best one of the trip on my first cast from shore:

S8FkF.jpg

...then 4 more while making a single pass around the open-water edge of the emergent weedline.  Nothing huge, and certainly a mix of sizes, but definitely some fun-sized fish on the fly rod.  Water was extremely clear, so while I never spotted the fish before casting, I got to see them appear and start to hit/follow the fly.  Very fun!

Here was the best 3:

S8Fkt.jpg

And the smaller 2:

S8FkV.jpg

S8FkC.jpg

Although the water was crystal clear, I only saw one other fish...a bluegill.  And then what I thought was a nice Chain Pickerel decided to hit...but it turned out to be a 19" Largemouth Bass.  Heckuva fighter!

S8FkY.jpg

15 hours ago, Ham said:

Heck of a Photo upgrade Dave! #firstcastdave

Shucks....I failed to mention it above: @Ham scouted this place first, and gave me a detailed report.  I probably wouldn't have made the trek without all that info.  Kudos to Hamilton! 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Took a family vacation to Aruba.  We had a great time!

Had scheduled a 1/2 day solo guided flyfishing trip with Laurenz Van Mook of 

https://www.flyandspinfishingaruba.com/

I had not ever caught a tarpon, so was hoping to get one added to my flyrod list.  Large ones are rare in Aruba, but there are some baby ones.  That's all I wanted!  I caught one, lost one, and missed a couple more bites.  We looked for bonefish, only saw a couple, and the only cast I made to one landed too close, resulting in the fish getting spooked.  I also had a Bar Jack on, but lost it...and then caught a small Blue Runner.  The Tarpon and Blue Runner were flyrod fish #82 and #83 for 2023!
SR7Ur.jpg