Off Topic. Not the Way To Start the Day

Bill Babler

CF1AE70C-C457-4058-916E-1C488244A32B.jpeg

Woke up yesterday morning to water on the floor in front of the fridge. Not good. 

Transferred everything to other refrigeration. This is our main fridge in the kitchen so off to Lowe’s, HD and Best Buy. 

Lowe’s won a check from Becky as they were the only one with next day delivery. Waiting now, 9-2 but I believe the weather is too bad to be out fishing anyway. 

Hope no one had any storm damage, I guess it was really bad around Big Cedar. 

A14AC7B6-DF47-423F-A272-4B2BA56A422C.jpeg

On a bright note appliances are less than they were pre-Covid. 

New fridge  29.5 cubic ft. Listed for $4,195.00. On sale $2,095.00. 

Guy at Lowe’s said they went from having nothing and a 6 month wait to having a warehouse full they can’t sell. Samsung has some of the best deals on all appliances they have ever had. Models are 2022/23. 

• Members

I had one of those LG fridges.  Mine looked identical to yours and mine failed too.  Turns out there was a class action law suit against them.  Every fridge they sold failed.  It is due to holes developing in the evaporator section letting the refrigerant out and air in.  Causes the linear compressor to overwork and eventually fail.  The fridge came with a 10 year warranty on the compressor and the sealed refrigerant system.  Failed in 3 years.  They worked on it 5 times and finally gave up and told me to buy a new fridge.  They would not honor their warranty.  I had to get the Attorney General in Jefferson City involved.  Finally got a new fridge.  I was without a fridge for 7 months.  

Yikes. We've been through it with fridges the last few years. Bought a new one during covid that seems ok, learned how to keep the antique one running (more or less).

Definitely not going to get 20 years out of a new one. Maybe not 5.

My son has one of those, he took it apart and relocated his RTD for the defrost cycle and it has been running perfectly since.  It is always something, I got tired of fighting my Maytag washer and bought a new one yesterday(LG)…I’m kind of turned off on Maytag at this point and willing to try something new.  The new machine is actually a bit cheaper than the old machine which I purchased 6 years ago.

Mike

Regarding the weather I had been to Eagle Rock on Tuesday and had planned on going back yesterday and for some reason just did not.  I heard on the news that SK area got some hail - never been in a boat on the lake in hail - that would really suck.

Regarding washer/dyers, we recently bought Speed Queens - 10 year warranty - might take me to end of life or at least to the point where I just don't care if I am wearing dirty clothes - wait - wife says I am already there.

In visiting with the folks at both Lowe’s and BB, both told me the factory warranties are useless as the factory won’t honor them. They pretty much say sue us. 

My how times have changed. 

Both said the aftermarket warranty are much better as they have nothing to do with the factory, they are just really an insurance policy.  Lowe’s wanted $185.00 for 3 years factory is 1 year and 10 on the compressor. 

We’re living by the seat of our pants and said no. I’m insurance poor. 

6 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

factory warranties are useless as the factory won’t honor them

Bill, you are correct about that.  When I retired I wanted to never buy another new car.  I hate mechanical/electrical things that always break, the bass boat being the worst but that relationship is love/hate.  I bought true lifetime warranties from Chrysler for my 2009 Ram and 2011 Jeep.  These warranties cover everything except for brake pads, hoses, and belts.  The cost was about $2200 for each one, $100 deductible.  They have been working perfectly until about two years ago Chrysler cancelled the one on the truck for some unknown requirement to have a 5 year inspection performed.  There is a country wide class action lawsuit in this regard and Chrysler will lose as long as it goes to jury verdict but will I live long enough?  The Jeep warranty is still working without incident.

Whoa - I almost went into a rant.

Bobby

We’ve got the exact unit too. That dang ice maker has no auto shutoff, then when you open the freezer door and pull out the ice compartment it dumps somewhere behind it. I bet in the past 3 years i have dumped enough ice behibd there to fill 30 livewells. 

TinBoats BassClub.  An aluminum only bass club. If interested in info send me a PM.