Fishing a Big Bass tourney with my 10 year old - Advice

• Members

I realize this is a Table Rock forum but I will be fishing this tournament on Beaver.  I'm taking my 10 year old daughter with me.  She does have some fishing experience but hasn't fished on a lake much.  What would be something good for her to throw to get some strikes? I was thinking a swimbait or something like that...but any secrets or advice would be much appreciated.

At that age I am not sure how long you are going to keep her interested.  When my daughter was that age about 30 minutes was tops.  Then on to treats, drinks, etc.  Have you considered a Rooster Tail, Beetle Spin or Road Runner for her. 

I have a 9 year old he likes to fish but loses interest in an 8 hour tournament day.  My key is to catch a keeper early, throw it in the livewell whether it be a crappie, perch, bass. And it keeps him busy for hours playing in the livewell with it.  A Bucket of minnow also keeps him busy

A floating worm. They really can’t fish it wrong. Used to do it all the time with my nephew when he was a kid. His dad would get upset that he was either fishing the wrong side of the boat or not paying attention, but he always caught more than his dad. 

The bonus is when they see a fish come up and eat that worm, they will never stop fishing it. 

• Members

Thanks everyone for the comments.  She still needs to get some practice in casting and what not but I rigged her up a swimbait and a ned rig.  She hooked into some but couldn't get one boated.  Anytime I hooked into one I would just hand her my rod and let her reel them in.