Featured
Quillback
Quillback

February 16, Big M area

My first time out since January 31, either because of bad weather or stuff going on in life, I haven't had an opportunity to get out until today.

Nice morning, little to no breeze, temps started out at around 32 and gradually warmed up to the mid 50's.  Water temp was 44-46 with a bit of a stain.

Launched about 0700 and started fishing a long rocky underwater ledge working a 110 +1.  Fished it for 30 minutes or so, caught a couple of 14" spots on the +1, but as I was fishing I was watching the depth finder and seeing a bass on the bottom here and there.  Just wasn't catching them fast enough on the JB, so fell back on the Ned rig.  

First cast on the Ned, I caught a keeper spot.  Thought I was on to some hot fishing with it, but it wasn't hot, however there were bites to be had.  Worked the rock ledges, points and chunk banks, in the 20-30 foot range, and caught another 13 bass on the Ned, with 8 of them being keepers.  A couple of them were really solid spots.

Used a black Nutech crappie jig for my Ned rig, I have been using a chartreuse head last month and felt it gave me a better chance at catching smallies.  And I did not catch a smallie today on the black head, did catch a mean mouth, but maybe there is something to smallies liking that chartreuse head.  Guess I will have to continue with my 'research'.

Lots of people fishing today, 8 rigs in the Big M lot when I left and lots of boats running up and down the channel.  

large.216spot.jpg

large.216Mean.jpg

large.216Large.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

wish i was out there with you, but i am somewhat grounded until the first week of march.  broke my wrist while in alabama.  oh well, i have a motor guide tour pro that is supposed to be here sometime in march.  looking forward to have spot lock.

those bass up our way are just not giving up that deeper water yet.

bo

19 minutes ago, merc1997 said:

wish i was out there with you, but i am somewhat grounded until the first week of march.  broke my wrist while in alabama.  oh well, i have a motor guide tour pro that is supposed to be here sometime in march.  looking forward to have spot lock.

bo

Sorry to hear about the wrist.  Did you get any fishing in while you were down there?

Something I forgot to mention, a lot of the fish had craw antennae sticking out of their gullet, maybe a sign that the craws are out moving around.  Should be good news for us bottom draggers.

2 minutes ago, Quillback said:

Something I forgot to mention, a lot of the fish had craw antennae sticking out of their gullet, maybe a sign that the craws are out moving around.  Should be good news for us bottom draggers.

Maybe the wart bite coming soon?

2 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Maybe the wart bite coming soon?

I hope so, the fish I have been catching are too far down for the Wart to reach.  That being said, I have not been going back in coves and working the banks, but have seen plenty of people doing that, so who knows, could be a bite on cranks somewhere.  

Usually there will be a bite on Shad Raps too, the small #5 size, I'd like to see a couple of warm sunny days and that might happen.  

12 minutes ago, Quillback said:

I hope so, the fish I have been catching are too far down for the Wart to reach.  That being said, I have not been going back in coves and working the banks, but have seen plenty of people doing that, so who knows, could be a bite on cranks somewhere.  

Usually there will be a bite on Shad Raps too, the small #5 size, I'd like to see a couple of warm sunny days and that might happen.  

The past 4 years have been awesome on the wart and square bill bite for me.

1 hour ago, merc1997 said:

bo

Hope he has it by then. Michael is still waiting