A Question of Ethics?

MoCarp

The population of buffalo and gar in the upper Gravois arm of LO was rediculous 4-5 years ago, but now it is more like what I think it should be. Actually I think they still need to kill off quite a few more gar.  As long as they don't get bored and start shooting gamefish I'm happy about what the bowfishers have done here.  The people that complain about their lights are just looking for something to whine about. 

As long as the resource is safe,What right doe's anyone have to tell someone their sport isn't proper,that their way of having fun isn't the right way.  We need to be carefull wanting to infringe on others pastimes,as yours may be next. As long as it's legal and not harming the resource I have no problem with it. Live and let live. Just my 2 cents

Catching a fish on a lure from outside of the water is a little more of a fair chase IMO but, that's only my opinion. I'm  very happy Missouri doesn't allow gamefish to be stabbed. 

4 hours ago, oneshot said:

Most the Pictures are already not Legal in state of Missouri.

But I do know several that don't let Laws stop them.

oneshot

Arkansas, Kansas, in our area do ATM.....

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

4 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

The population of buffalo and gar in the upper Gravois arm of LO was rediculous 4-5 years ago, but now it is more like what I think it should be. Actually I think they still need to kill off quite a few more gar.  As long as they don't get bored and start shooting gamefish I'm happy about what the bowfishers have done here.  The people that complain about their lights are just looking for something to whine about. 

Buffalo are native and a gar/buff limit is 20...violated often...on a post in OAF a guy was saying he was fishing behind some guys and was following floating gar-etc "released" because it wouldn't take long to hit 20...then they are done for the day by law...tossing them back keeps them under the 20 limit in the eyes of a CO.....so much so the MDC notes it several times on the state webbsite

3 hours ago, mikeak said:

As long as the resource is safe,What right doe's anyone have to tell someone their sport isn't proper,that their way of having fun isn't the right way.  We need to be carefull wanting to infringe on others pastimes,as yours may be next. As long as it's legal and not harming the resource I have no problem with it. Live and let live. Just my 2 cents

San Juan shuffle.... using trebles and power bait in the lures only area, limiting out on 5# bass and eating them,......IMHO Big Trophy fish are something we can use more of

1 hour ago, Mitch f said:

Well if you can sight fish, you can selectively go after the biggest fish that swims

not as effective as stabbing them

30 minutes ago, Smalliebigs said:

Catching a fish on a lures from outside of the water is a little more of a fair chase IMO but, that's only my opinion. I'm  very happy Missouri doesn't allow gamefish to be stabbed. 

Arkansas and Kansas do......at least for now

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

The ability to Poach, be it exceed limits or illegally or un-ethically harvest the biggest of a fish population is very easy by stabbing methods of harvest

The Anthony Stacy who shot the 83# flathead and would have gone scott free, but turned it in as a state record! the man had 19 other wildlife violations.

catfish are sold everyday in KC and St louis, that are taken illegally...one reason the rules for the big blues where changed below Truman dam

Anthony Stacy Illegal Catfish.jpg

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

23 minutes ago, MoCarp said:

not as effective as stabbing them

That's exactly what I meant.....sight fishing with a gig or a spear

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

I'm not a fan of it. mainly for the reasons mocarp mentions.  like to hear what the long term effects are of looser limits on these methods.  I certainly dont want to see these methods legal for game fish but  i'm also not a fan of infringing on someone else's sport.  Id guess most guys who do this abide by the law.  like anything a couple bad examples are what everyone points to.  i dont know what a fair solution is but it does seem that MDC does a better than average job when it comes to management of the resources of our state.