Brown trout spawn

trythisonemv

Actually Phil didn't say it was too cold, he just mentioned temperature, that particular tail water might be to warm at the time of year they spawn or it might just fluctuate more than they can stand. at any rate the water is not what works for them. Maybe it has too many boots or not enough sand, maybe just when the eggs are ready to hatch the USACE  opens a couple flood gates and kill them all.

11 minutes ago, tjm said:

Actually Phil didn't say it was too cold, he just mentioned temperature, that particular tail water might be to warm at the time of year they spawn or it might just fluctuate more than they can stand. at any rate the water is not what works for them. Maybe it has too many boots or not enough sand, maybe just when the eggs are ready to hatch the USACE  opens a couple flood gates and kill them all.

It's always feels way colder than spring water to me.  

The White below BS has floodgates and those fish make it happen. And I believe there is successful spawning on the Red. I think Taney, being a lake, just lacks a good number of shoals, and the one good shoal it has gets trampled daily.

• Members
11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

It's always feels way colder than spring water to me.  

The White below BS has floodgates and those fish make it happen. And I believe there is successful spawning on the Red. I think Taney, being a lake, just lacks a good number of shoals, and the one good shoal it has gets trampled daily.

With all the water being blasted out of TR this Fall nothing on Taneycomo is getting trampled daily this year. 

Not sure if fish attempt to lay eggs during high water or not.  I don't see why they wouldn't as the current and debris along the bottom remains basically unchanged.   The warmer the water the sooner the eggs hatch, right?  High water during the spawning period may actually be a good thing.

27 minutes ago, ness said:

So, no rainbow reproduction in Taney?

You'd think there would be "some".

12-13 years ago Troutdale ranch produced some brookies, but hasn't had anymore at all for at least 9 years.  We still occasionally catch them in Gravois Creek.  Cricket even caught one that eclipsed the state record by over a pound about 5-6 years ago on a Clouser while chasing spring run Whites.  I caught one on a hopper year before last in the middle of the Summer while trespassing for Smallies.  

I think trout are alot tougher than people give them credit for.....but then again....all the streams I know about that have naturally reproducing populations never seem to grow big ones.  Maybe that's just because the streams are always tiny.  

• Members

Are the upper reaches of the Current capable of supporting brown trout reproduction? I know they close off the lower portion of the park right above the cable during the fall for what I think is the brown trout run but I’m talking about up at the top of the park. Not that it would ever happen, but if Montauk wasn’t there do you all think that river could support a self sustaining population? Or is it still to warm in there for them?

I don't know if most of the folks here think that trout eggs hatch quickly like bluegill or even bass that hatch in less than a week and begin feeding soon after hatch. Trout need consistent conditions for close to 21 to 28 days for a successful hatch. Longer at lower temps. Then they take close to 14 to 20 days to adsorb their yolk sacs before they are active swimmers and feeders. A lot could go wrong during those times that would prevent a successful year class. So in MO they are more likely to be successful in spots that have only modest changes in water volume, dissolved oxygen levels, and temp like the small creeks that do have natural production. Whether browns could spawn in Barren fork creek or Blues springs or Crane may be possible bit detrimental to those rainbows already in those creeks.