Any seasoned dogs out there?

Ketchup

I was out hunting western KS several years ago. I had permission to hunt a field and as we pulled up a few guys were getting ready to hunt the field across the road. They asked us to join them. One of the guys pointed to a liver and white Brittany and kinda said under his breath, 'You know who that is?' I said I didn't and he told me it was Shambo's Dark Shadow, which didn't mean anything to me then. He had racked up a bunch of wins by that time and ended up in the Brittany Hall of Fame. We spread out quite a bit and for whatever reason he stayed fairly close to me. Now that dog was a freakin' machine and would hold a point forever. It was a very cool experience to hunt behind that dog.

Our Max A’Million is a great grandson of him. 

John

This is Dexter.  He was the best Labrador Retriever I ever had the honor to hunt with - and he was mine.  An English bloodline male that I bought from one of the Doctors in Nevada.  I trained him myself.  He would take hand signs but seldom needed them as he was an excellent marker.  Total persistence on birds in the water and anything wounded that made it into cover.  No telling how many otherwise probably lost ducks he brought back.

He was an upland natural too.  Not a bird buster by any means, he would point and hold but not forever - he was after all a Lab.  But he was good at it - real good.  Always welcomed on hunts with the true pointing dogs.  A real master at finding and retrieving upland as well as on the water.  Twice, he brought me quail to hand when a shot had not been fired.

He had two faults.  Loved to fight and if there was anyway he could get to an intact male, it was on.  And he hated loose feathered doves.  He would wander around acting like he was looking for a bird but somehow never find one after the first two or three of his life.

He's buried in one of the levees at Marais Temps Claire.  Gone but never to be forgotten.

The photo is from the early '80's taken on Long Branch Lake during a memorable duck hunt - one of those clear windy flight days that every man who duck hunts or ever has never forgets.

RIP Dexter a true friend and a great dog.

Dexter Lab.jpg

1 hour ago, Terrierman said:

This is Dexter.  He was the best Labrador Retriever I ever had the honor to hunt with - and he was mine.  An English bloodline male that I bought from one of the Doctors in Nevada.  I trained him myself.  He would take hand signs but seldom needed them as he was an excellent marker.  Total persistence on birds in the water and anything wounded that made it into cover.  No telling how many otherwise probably lost ducks he brought back.

He was an upland natural too.  Not a bird buster by any means, he would point and hold but not forever - he was after all a Lab.  But he was good at it - real good.  Always welcomed on hunts with the true pointing dogs.  A real master at finding and retrieving upland as well as on the water.  Twice, he brought me quail to hand when a shot had not been fired.

He had two faults.  Loved to fight and if there was anyway he could get to an intact male, it was on.  And he hated loose feathered doves.  He would wander around acting like he was looking for a bird but somehow never find one after the first two or three of his life.

He's buried in one of the levees at Marais Temps Claire.  Gone but never to be forgotten.

The photo is from the early '80's taken on Long Branch Lake during a memorable duck hunt - one of those clear windy flight days that every man who duck hunts or ever has never forgets.

RIP Dexter a true friend and a great dog.

Dexter Lab.jpg

Nobody is perfect...and Marais is a great resting place, that used to be some of the best waterfowl country before the 93 flood.  I had permission to hunt fields adjacent and we had a couple low spots holding water that we set up in and had birds working constantly. I will never forget those years.  Awesome.

Mike

31 minutes ago, nomolites said:

Nobody is perfect...and Marais is a great resting place, that used to be some of the best waterfowl country before the 93 flood.  I had permission to hunt fields adjacent and we had a couple low spots holding water that we set up in and had birds working constantly. I will never forget those years.  Awesome.

Mike

I’ve had some unbelievable dove hunts there too.  

My bird dog of a lifetime was Molly. Probably not a coincidence that I put the most time and effort into her training. She’s also the dog my kids grew up with. She was a great gun dog, but was kinda hard-headed around the house. Lived for food and would do whatever she could to get it. Didn’t mind the consequences. 

I’ve got her ashes in a container in my office. Some day I’ll scatter them, but I haven’t settled on where yet. We sure do miss her. 
molly%202.jpg

DSC_9214-XL.jpg

molly1.jpg

John