Featured
Bill Babler
Bill Babler

12-31-20. Big Cedar area report

All those pictures of big bass from Bull Shoals got me fired up.   Launched at old 86 at 0900 and went looking for some deep fish. Air temp at a balmy 30 degree and surface temp at 48.9

Had been looking for about an hour when the wind came up pretty good so I headed for some shelf Rock, the kind of stuff that Mike said they were on. Flat rock mixed with gravel.   He had told me boat in 15 to 18 ft.  Phantom Brown RK Crawler. 

IMG_3713.jpg

First location 4th cast and wham!  Nice K. Caught a total if 4 on that location and then just started to look for wind on that type of bank. It's amazing the wildlife you see right now up close  I saw at least 1/2 dozen Minks, running the bank and fishing. 

IMG_3715.jpg

Ended the morning at 2 pm with 9 fish. 8 K's and 1 LM. All keepers with the LM at 4lbs. 15 oz.  

IMG_3716.jpg

Pretty sure most bites were in that 8' to 12' range. Bites were solid and there was no doubt, they all fought really hard.   I know for sure I missed a couple of others, so a great morning on the Spro Cranker

Good Luck

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Braid is very light and the spool has less momentum to keep spilling line out.

fluro has more weight and backlashes worse than mono. 
it doesn’t have to be a Big Deal. Set your spool tension and your brakes correctly and keep an active thumb. 
you can make a long cast and then pull off 30 more feet of line and then put a piece of electrical tape on the spool. It will not backlash past the tape. 

Thx!

I back fill my reels with fly line backing. 

I have mentioned here in the past how much I hate braid although I do like to experiment with different stuff.  After RPS endorsed the Finatic early last year I decided to try some and I actually really like it - at least for spinning applications.

I've yet to have it wrap around a guide, knot itself or suffer an impaled hook.  For me it casts further and easier than even Invisx and is super sensitive.  Also the ten pound stuff is amazingly small diameter and the green and blue color is kinda unique.  While it's not the easiest to see neither is fluro so that's pretty much a push.

Another aspect I used to hate about braid is getting a deep hangup as most braid would pull the dang boat underwater before it would break off.  The ten pound is stout enough to pull free more often than not but when hopelessly fouled it can be broke off without snapping a rod or gashing a finger.

I haven't tried it on a bait caster yet but intend to this spring.  They've had two 40% off specials in the last couple of months (one of which just ended yesterday) which makes the price more than reasonable.  All in I paid $54.79 for two 300 yd. spools of the 10#.

The stuff also does not fade or at least it didn't all of last year and seems to last forever.  I spooled four spinners last April and see no need to refresh any of them in 2021.

As for cold weather applications you need to find another field tester cause I ain't goin' out there no more in 30 - 35 degree weather!

4 minutes ago, vernon said:

The stuff also does not fade or at least it didn't all of last year and seems to last forever.  I spooled four spinners last April and see no need to refresh any of them in 2021.

I flip it around half way through the year too.  

Leaders drive me absolutely crazy.  I know pretty much every good fisherman uses them (which might explain why I ain't one) but I just hate 'em.  99.9 percent of the time whatever line I'm using gets tied directly to the bait.

The only exception is fluke/slugo type lures where I'll sometimes use a swivel cause of line twist but I hate those even worse and will usually just deal with the line twist as it occurs as opposed to breaking the line and adding a swivel.

Knots and swivels going thru line guides are light fingernails on a chalkboard to me.😖

On 1/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, rps said:

Lastly, if you intend to use braid, I strongly suggest you try Finatic line. It is not cheap, but it does not bleed or bleach, and it is a hair stiffer which reduces the wrapping guides and wind knots. Their 10# is the size of 2# mono.

Now I’m intrigued to try this line! Thanks