Fish care

mixermarkb

1 hour ago, Hunter91 said:

I have not tried the hydrogen peroxide before. Has anyone here? I use the Gjuice, ice, recirc pump also have an oxyenator. Seldom have problems. But I am paranoid when I have fish in the livewell in warm weather.

I haven't tried the hydrogen peroxide before, but it makes sense science wise. Hydrogen peroxide also works wonders in a hot water heater if you ever develop smelly hot water. 

4 hours ago, skeeter said:

SOS again ?  How's that ?  Great information and advice.  Thanks to mixermarkb for sharing with the membership. 

Sorry, the HWGA...SOSA comment was merely a reference back to my military cadence days. Lol and was aimed more towards the comments about where the thread was headed. Not the initial information which I think everybody would benefit from. Good Info in there for sure!

2 hours ago, Targa98 said:

Don't take me wrong gentlemen, the original post was very awesome information that is benifical to absolutely everyone. My post was to only try and stop where the thread was headed after the fact. It again was about to turn into something off topic. There can never be too much info on how to help keep fish healthy but when you turn it into a platform to bash tourney fisherman some take offense. I fish about 2 or 3 derbys a year to fill in as a sub because of my schedule. I am no way better than anyone else and we all have our views. All of the men I fish these events with are very meticulous in their fish care and as the rear of the boat fisherman I am normally the one checking on the fish every 5 min and after every run we make at the request of the driver. I'd like to hope most boats are doing the same thing.

Well thanks for saving us from where this was headed.... I wonder if your intuition is as good for finding the fish??

17 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

No, this thread is not a problem for either tournament fishermen or non- tournament guys or gals.  It is just good solid information.  The HP tip was a good one but a lot of the post has been discussed here previously.

Seeing the big fish from the tournament yesterday probably made us all think of fish care in the extreme heat of the summer. 

I for one appreciated the post.

Good Luck

Amen and amen. Every one that dies is potentially a whole lot of them lost down the road. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

20 hours ago, mixermarkb said:

I haven't tried the hydrogen peroxide before, but it makes sense science wise. Hydrogen peroxide also works wonders in a hot water heater if you ever develop smelly hot water. 

I was wondering about the Hydrogen Peroxide too.  BTW.... Thanks for the tip too on the Hot Water heater. 

My Wife has always used it for cleaning wounds but now there have been a lot of Medical Professionals warning that is a no-no https://advancedtissue.com/2014/07/debunking-myths-wound-care/ and that it actually prevents healing in some way.  Sounds like when it's added to water it releases the extra Oxygen molecule in the H2O2 like it does when it creates those little bubbles on a wound. 

I've debated on whether I wanted to respond to these suggestions. Some of them I would agree with and others I don't. However, once the angler takes possession of a fish, it is ultimately up to them to provide the care they see fit to provide. So it doesn't really matter what my opinion is lol. With that being said, I don't agree with # 4 "Critical." Keeping the live well temperature close to 65 degrees seems extreme. Currently, the water temperature on Bull Shoals Lake doesn't dip to 65 degrees until greater than 40 ft. The temperature at the thermocline is 75 degrees. I would say trying to keep livewells in the low to mid 70's would be more beneficial and reduce the chance of temperature"shocking" the fish. 

The general rule that I use is to try to keep the livewell temps within 10 or so degrees of the surface temperature. That is close to what BASS has recommended in the "Keep Bass Alive Handbook" (link). But again it is up to the angler taking care of their fish to decide the best methods to keep their fish alive.

Jeremy Risley

District Fisheries Supervisor
AGFC Mountain Home Office - 1-877-425-7577
Email: Jeremy.Risley@agfc.ar.gov

Once again, this forum is just eons beyond anything else on the internet ... how many others have fisheries biologists as members? And Jeremy is also a concerned angler ... best of both worlds.

Thanks for all you contribute, sir. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

1 hour ago, Champ188 said:

Once again, this forum is just eons beyond anything else on the internet ... how many others have fisheries biologists as members? And Jeremy is also a concerned angler ... best of both worlds.

Thanks for all you contribute, sir. 

Agreed 100%. Like to get down there and buy that guy dinner some time. 

Do people really have that much trouble keeping fish alive? I've got a decent sized livewell that pumps fresh water in for 30 seconds every few minutes. Once a fish goes in to it, I flip that on and let it run. The surface water temps have been near 90 the past few weeks and the fish are feisty as all get out when I take them out of the livewell for weigh in. None of the fish I am catching are deep fish so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm catching them in water that's the same temp as what they are going in to.