Favorite duck mount positions

Hunter91

My son and two of his friends have birds to mount this year. Always wonder about the best position to mount them in.

The birds they have are goldeneye drake, a wood duck hen ( he has a drake on the wall and is going to add this one), a scaup drake and a snow.

Any suggestions?

I like flying mounts, where they are diving in. Here is a mallard I have this way. 

Mallar.jpg

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

28 minutes ago, Hunter91 said:

My son and two of his friends have birds to mount this year. Always wonder about the best position to mount them in.

The birds they have are goldeneye drake, a wood duck hen ( he has a drake on the wall and is going to add this one), a scaup drake and a snow.

Any suggestions?

I really don't know what to suggest. I have only had one done thinking I may never get another like it and to this day haven't . I opted for a flying bird so I could see the most of the bird. I do think it would be neat to have a strap with hanging birds someday.  A couple views of my mount,

DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.JPG

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

10 minutes ago, slothman said:

Cupped up would probably be cool. 

No experience in mounts, but that’s what I thought of first — capturing that moment when they are feet down, cupping the wings and coming into the decoys. 

John

Banked in a turn with two for the wall, or five, or seven for a big high ceiling corner piece would be cool! I’m not into taxidermy but I would ask the taxidermist to see what would work best with the specimens provided. 

Where you're going to mount them is important.  So is the bird.  Goldeneyes and Scaup are more likely to buzz the decoys than cup up and sit down.  I'd honor that in the mounts.  Woodie hen I would match up with the drake you already have and have them as a pair.  Forgive me, but I would not ever spend the $$$ to mount a snow goose.

4 hours ago, Hunter91 said:

Any suggestions?

Hunter,

This is where I got my bird done. May I suggest looking at all these mounts?

http://birdmanstudios.com/

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

19 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

Where you're going to mount them is important.  So is the bird.  Goldeneyes and Scaup are more likely to buzz the decoys than cup up and sit down.  I'd honor that in the mounts.  Woodie hen I would match up with the drake you already have and have them as a pair.  Forgive me, but I would not ever spend the $$$ to mount a snow goose.

These are good points worth consideration imo^^^^