What's the Best Bait for this Weekend

Bill Babler

Have been out everyday this week with clients   "AT LAST'    You don't or won't need a bucket full of baits for the next week and perhaps by weeks end you can throw in a drop shot but here is what you need to have tied on.

Redfin/Surge Shad  they are really eating these wake baits, and the best color for the fin has been Smoky Joe.  Crank it just fast enough to make it wake and when they pound it don't jerk just pull back when you feel the weight of the fish.

Whopper Plotter  Size 110/90 in Loon cranked just fast enough to make it spudder.

Spook/Chugbug/Yellow Magic.  If there are whites chasing this is the best option although they will just hammer a fin.  Not so much with the Pooper, and yes you can catch some on it but it is not the best one.

2.8/3.2 inch Keitech on a 1/4 oz head.  Look and see where the fish are in the water column and fish to that depth.

Little George tail spinner for whites and long casts for schooling fish.

That's about it.  Still some moss from KC to Shell Knob on the gravel, but you really do not have to put anything on the bottom, just put the boat in 15/20 and swim and topwater in front of the bushes.  

Look for chasing fish.  Most of the guides are just riding at daylight looking for chasers.  If you find them and 90% of the time now you will stay with them.  They have been in the middle and mouths of the major spawning coves.

Yesterday out of one big pocket I had a 5.7 LM a two 3.7 K's, and a 3.2 lb. K.  Today my guests had multiple SM in the 3 plus range and one 5.78 walleye on a 3.2 inch Keitech.

You can also fish the flooded bushes with a black buzz bait a white spinner bait or  chatter bait/swim jig or frog and have success.  Flipping has not been good.  If your going to flip don't go down a bank flipping as your just wasting time.  Pick out isolated bushes that are apart from other structure.  To just go down a line of green it is a lot of fishing for but a few bites.

It has been cloudy and the bite is staying good till about 10/11 after that go to lunch and either come back at dark or come back the next morning.  Middle of the day on Holiday weekends is a bit sketchy.

Good Luck

Most people hate drop shot fishing. But I just love it. I hope it starts this weekend. I felt like last weekend I saw some fish on the graph that were staged up for the drop shot but I just didn't have time to try it and other bites were working well.

13 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

Have been out everyday this week with clients   "AT LAST'    You don't or won't need a bucket full of baits for the next week and perhaps by weeks end you can throw in a drop shot but here is what you need to have tied on.

Redfin/Surge Shad  they are really eating these wake baits, and the best color for the fin has been Smoky Joe.  Crank it just fast enough to make it wake and when they pound it don't jerk just pull back when you feel the weight of the fish.

Whopper Plotter  Size 110/90 in Loon cranked just fast enough to make it spudder.

Spook/Chugbug/Yellow Magic.  If there are whites chasing this is the best option although they will just hammer a fin.  Not so much with the Pooper, and yes you can catch some on it but it is not the best one.

2.8/3.2 inch Keitech on a 1/4 oz head.  Look and see where the fish are in the water column and fish to that depth.

Little George tail spinner for whites and long casts for schooling fish.

That's about it.  Still some moss from KC to Shell Knob on the gravel, but you really do not have to put anything on the bottom, just put the boat in 15/20 and swim and topwater in front of the bushes.  

Look for chasing fish.  Most of the guides are just riding at daylight looking for chasers.  If you find them and 90% of the time now you will stay with them.  They have been in the middle and mouths of the major spawning coves.

Yesterday out of one big pocket I had a 5.7 LM a two 3.7 K's, and a 3.2 lb. K.  Today my guests had multiple SM in the 3 plus range and one 5.78 walleye on a 3.2 inch Keitech.

You can also fish the flooded bushes with a black buzz bait a white spinner bait or  chatter bait/swim jig or frog and have success.  Flipping has not been good.  If your going to flip don't go down a bank flipping as your just wasting time.  Pick out isolated bushes that are apart from other structure.  To just go down a line of green it is a lot of fishing for but a few bites.

It has been cloudy and the bite is staying good till about 10/11 after that go to lunch and either come back at dark or come back the next morning.  Middle of the day on Holiday weekends is a bit sketchy.

Good Luck

You left out the beloved Ned rig?????