Turkey hunter shoots hiker

Quillback

1 hour ago, Flysmallie said:

What if I hike into a conservation area to fish. Are hunters allowed to shoot me?

I don't think they are allowed to shoot anyone. I don't think anyone wants to shoot anyone. But, it is stupid for the authorities to encourage that conflict probability.  As you said when you answered your own question, it ruins someone's hunt and can endanger both parties. Don't put hiking trails in hunting areas anymore than DNR allows hunting in hiking areas. Don't put biking lanes on Interstates either. Or route interstate trucks through  residential  areas.

I hike many MDC areas in the spring looking for mushrooms.  If there is a turkey season open, it will be after hunting hours.  Most areas have roads thru them and its a good place to see wildlife.  But you know me, I am always packing when I am hiking around, I will return fire.

Many times in the past while wading creeks, I have had gunfire aimed close.  Most have just been shooting off bridges at stuff or target practicing on private property.  A few quick shots in the air usually puts an end to it.  One time, it was just fireworks, but I stopped them.  Most people just wonder around life aimlessly oblivious to anyone else in there surrounding.

That hiker should have obeyed the signs in the area and avoided it.  When you are on MDC lands, you have to abide by the rules of use for the area.  Active hunting season requires an advised hunter orange when not actively pursuing a bird for anyone.  Not mandatory like deer season, but advised.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

I have fished Barclay CA during Youth Firearms Deer Season but wore Hunters Orange and stayed by the river.

Mushroom Hunt after 1PM.

I was Mushroom Hunting during Turkey Season on my property late in the day. Found myself in among some Turkeys. All of a sudden someone started shooting at the Turkeys. I hollerd and they left.

oneshot

I think it a good idea for anyone using a hunting area to wear some orange, a light weight vest or cap could save someone from jail time for  shooting another someone. When I work on my own property during the major deer seasons I've always worn orange, it's surprising how many fences people can climb over or crawl under and not realize they are on private land. 

I've always wondered that they require/advise the shooters to wear orange in hunting situations so that they won't get shot, but never mention that treehuggers, bird watchers, hikers, hunter-harassers, farm workers and others using the same areas in the same times should also try not to get shot by dressing in HiVis clothing. It's almost like a conspiracy theory to get half-fast hunters to shoot enough non-hunters that hunting will be banned. 

The particular trail in question, the Lewis & Clark Trail, I'm guessing sees 500 hikers for every 1 hunter.  I don't think its a good idea to continue to try and please both crowds on the same day.  

A simple compromise -- they should probably have a few set aside days for hunting only, where hiking, birding, nature-gawking, is not permitted, and vice versa.

1 hour ago, tjm said:

I think it a good idea for anyone using a hunting area to wear some orange, a light weight vest or cap

And as soon you enter the area begin a rendition of...  Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer on the wall.....

1 hour ago, tjm said:

it's surprising how many fences people can climb over or crawl under and not realize they are on private land

I have hunted a fair amount of national forest land where there were fences within large blocks of public land. Seems like there was never a reason to take it down. Unless you know the area well, have an updated GPS with maps, or see posted signs (including purple paint), it can be hard to know if you are still on public land or not.