Arkansas squirrel challenge

Johnsfolly

52 minutes ago, gotmuddy said:

Definitely no shortage of them.  I would like to try eating them, I have never had any

They are pretty good eats. Almost as good as rabbit if cooked right. A .17 cal air rifle works great.

.25 cal works even better. Shoot them in the head too :).

thumbnail_IMG_20211213_102033004_HDR.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

3 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

.25 cal works even better. Shoot them in the head too :).

thumbnail_IMG_20211213_102033004_HDR.jpg

Nice setup

I am doing good just to hit them.

2 minutes ago, netboy said:

Nice setup

Thank you.

FX Crown. Have the .30 cal barrel kit also for it. 50 yards day in and day out quarter sized or better groups depending on wind and dime sized groups not uncommon. over 100 squirrels in the 2020-2021 season. Have not kept track this season so far.  I can tell you we are eating very well. Keep separate young ones and old ones.  Young ones fried and old ones braised. Had company three days over new year holidays. Big mess of young ones with squirrel gravy and mashed taters plus sides. Good eats!

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

9 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

Thank you.

FX Crown. Have the .30 cal barrel kit also for it. 50 yards day in and day out quarter sized or better groups depending on wind and dime sized groups not uncommon. over 100 squirrels in the 2020-2021 season. Have not kept track this season so far.  I can tell you we are eating very well. Keep separate young ones and old ones.  Young ones fried and old ones braised. Had company three days over new year holidays. Big mess of young ones with squirrel gravy and mashed taters plus sides. Good eats!

How big of an area do you hunt to get that many?  

1 minute ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Within walking distance 400 to 500 hundred acres. I would rather hit conservation areas. It is neat to explore new ground. Then I have other farms I can hunt. Not all places have good populations. I believe from reading and seeing firsthand squirrel migrate with food sources. There is so much untapped ground around here. 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

12 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

May of mistook your question. You can hunt a small place that has big populations. I have set in one place and have had a dozen within view at same time. Again, depending on food source the ground can have a very, very large population living there. 

You might be afraid to tread on those places :)

6C10FD71-2111-41FA-B5B9-8CBF702CC7CD.164

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead