Arkansas squirrel challenge

Johnsfolly

5 minutes ago, nomolites said:

I know when I deer hunt it is not uncommon to have a dozen within 50 yds.  Last Thursday AM had a bobcat snatch a gray right underneath me….pretty dang cool to watch.

Mike

Yea Mike that is neat! 

Been a few years but seen the same. Watched a bobcat stalk one under our bird feeder. I mean slow and patiently (wish I had that patience) at about ten yards it made a dash and caught it. Did neck crunch or crush and walked off head held high like it was showing off.  Better than any Nat geo or wild kingdom episode. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

This one did the same, held(crunched) the squirrel from behind by the neck until it was done and strutted off.  I was not wearing my GoPro or would have awesome footage…just had my phone and by the time I got it going he was headed away.  It was interesting watching 3 or 4 other squirrels check out the “scene” after he left.  They are too curious for their own good.

Mike

We have new neighbors. I will have to see if they mind us using the 22's in the back yard for a couple of squirrels. Need some squirrel and mushrooms or Aurora squirrel.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:51 AM, Johnsfolly said:

https://www.ktlo.com/2022/01/01/agfc-hosting-big-squirrel-challenge-in-january/

Sounds like a good time. Wishing that I was in AR right now!

Oh, and thanks for posting this John.  Pretty neat and would like you said be fun to participate in. I will tell you the winners admitting or not will be watching deer feeders that are spewing out corn! They get really fat eating it. I have some ears out on lag bolts and in the past shot some off of it. Don't anymore.  Give em a break here unless they are tearing up bird feeders. I did have fun hunts around farmers corn fields. Walk edges and find trees with cobs and husks under them. The little dudes will grab one up the tree, shuck it and eat the corn until cobs are clean.  This Fall I brough home some hedge balls. Put them across fence next to bird feeder. Squirrels found them and again funny watching them shuck to get to the tiny seeds inside. One would stay close to the pile to protect it. Another would sneak in and grab one. Try to run. The hedge ball would drag the ground and eventually grab. Squirrel would go a##hole over appetite around the ball it would roll over them. I then began to gather buckets of hedge balls and dump lots out there. At one time had a mountain of hedge balls. all there is left I can see is seven. At the height of them feeding on them depending on how many would show up 4 to 6 were getting eaten. Fun little creatures. 

Big squirrel cookoff in Bentonville Arkansas each year. It was cancelled last September due to Covid :(

About The Squirrel Cook Off in Bentonville, Arkansas

Arkansas' World Champion Squirrel Cook Off a casualty of COVID-19 (4029tv.com)

Pat got me this shirt. thumbnail_IMG_20220104_143426483.jpg

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

54 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

Give em a break here unless they are tearing up bird feeders. I did have fun hunts around farmers corn fields. Walk edges and find trees with cobs and husks under them. The little dudes will grab one up the tree, shuck it and eat the corn until cobs are clean.

I made my own style of corn feeders and put them around the Columbia yard for years. I'm always amazed that they only eat the germ portion of the kernel and drop the rest. The birds eat the rest of the kernels. 

12 minutes ago, nomolites said:

<THWOK>

<KERTHUNK> is what I hear. :) 

I have an empty can on the end of my air rifle. Pretty quiet as is and have shot multiple squirrels in one tree.  Would like an aftermarket moderator to really make it quieter. That will be next purchase down the road. No rules or regulations on air guns. YET 🙄.

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

7 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

I made my own style of corn feeders and put them around the Columbia yard for years. I'm always amazed that they only eat the germ portion of the kernel and drop the rest. The birds eat the rest of the kernels. 

Yea I know and what a waste. Like them doing all that work for tiny seeds in hedge apples. The milky sappy stuff gets on their faces and whiskers. Watching with binoculars they rub faces with paws once and awhile and even on the ground when done eating. 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

If you guys have never done a real backwoods squirrel derby your missing out. 

The amount of cheating and booze and redneckery is amazing. Add in the foreigners loading up everyone's culls and weighed squirrel by the truckload to burn the hair and eat. 

I doubt this will be that way but still a good time.

7 minutes ago, Devan S. said:

If you guys have never done a real backwoods squirrel derby your missing out. 

The amount of cheating and booze and redneckery is amazing. Add in the foreigners loading up everyone's culls and weighed squirrel by the truckload to burn the hair and eat. 

I doubt this will be that way but still a good time.

Didn’t a bunch of guys get busted down in SW MO at a squirrel derby?   I remember because they said they burned the hair off of them.   The smell had to be horrible!!